Sand instead of gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deeks14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about using sand instead of gravel but would l
Like to know will this be ok with an under gravel filter

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nope, no sand with ugf, perhaps an upgrade is in order?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just starting a shrimp tank and heard the ugf is better.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm just starting a shrimp tank and heard the ugf is better.
I don't claim to be a shrimp expert but why would a UGF be better for the shrimp?

On the limited occasions I have kept small shrimp I found a sponge filter to be an excellent solution.

I don't claim to be a shrimp expert but why would a UGF be better for the shrimp?

On the limited occasions I have kept small shrimp I found a sponge filter to be an excellent solution.

Yep, even a prefilter sponge on an hob..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like a UGF for fish only, but if you use it with anything but common pea gravel, it don't do right. A HOB cartridge filter should be just fine for shrimp.

My advice is to ditch the UGF and switch to sand. I changed both of my tanks to sand after my suicidal goldie tried to swallow a piece of gravel... and I love the sand! its easier to clean and my plants are growing faster.

p.s. if you do decide to change substrate don't replace it all at once. It will kill off all your bacteria and send your tank back to day 1 of the cycling process.

p.s. if you do decide to change substrate don't replace it all at once. It will kill off all your bacteria and send your tank back to day 1 of the cycling process.

I learned that one the hard way, and no, the bacteria in my HOB was NOT preserved despite my best efforts.

I learned that one the hard way, and no, the bacteria in my HOB was NOT preserved despite my best efforts.

Right?? I did the same thing about a year ago when I first moved my goldfish from a lfs recommended 10gallon tank to a 40 gallon, then decided to change the gravel color. Lucky for me goldfish are really hardy and I realized my mistake right after I did it and was able to somewhat manage by doing an insane amount of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom