Sand is a mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, its day 3 after i added the Red Slime Remover and i dont see any Cyano anywhere. BUT...I dont have that cool looking green algea that was growing on my Live Rocks either!

it can exascerbate them by killing the good bacteria in your rocks and sandbed

Hara, I think that you may have been right. Oh well, hindsite is 20/20. In time it should grow back.

As for Uncle Fester, my Horseshoe Crab, He will be going back to the fish store this weekend.

Hi HoopsGuru I guess I should have been more precise in what I said. By saying bugs I was refering to pods, flat worms, britsle woorm, spagetti worms and so on that are bought normaly in the hobby. And yes they will not go into the anerobic zone. Of coarse bacteria will populate all levels of the sediment.
I have read the article that you posted beforew and just reviewed it again.
The fact that "all bugs will not go past the oxygenated zone" is flat out untrue
Hmmm this is true my friend, even the article you linked verifies it. With the exception of bacteria. The worm I linked is not a mystery worm its actually common in a DSB that has had it introduced through sand swaps or LR.
In a bed you have a areobic zone (totally oxygenated) here lies 98% of your critters, then comes the anerobic zone (greatly reduced oxygenated zone)This is basically the transitional zone where the bed goes from oxygenated to anoxic (no oxygen) this is a very thin zone (very thin) and is completely dependant on oxygenated water being introduced to it. If you have a ton of life in the areobic zone moving the sand you may be able to have a few critters from the areobic zone spend very short periods in it. But they are of no consequence to the function of the bed. Below this microscopic layer of the anerobic zone is the balance of the sand bed, the anoxic zone. Here thier are no crittters except bacteria. The worm I showed above is the only worm that has the ability to migrated from oxygenated area to the anoxic zone. They do so by basically holding thier breathe or they to will also die of oxygen deprivation. This movement allows Nitrates (the excretement of the areobic zone) the be pushed down to the anoxic zone. In turn by this movement they will allow the release of Nitrogen gas (and excretement of anocix bacteria).
If you re read the article you provided you should see that it says the same thing. The worm is the animal that transfers the nitrate down, you can still get a very small amount of this transfering with out the worm (basically from strong water flow over the bed) but it greatly reduces its functionability.

MIke

Hmmm this is true my friend, even the article you linked verifies it.
Nope, quite the contrary:

"Nonetheless, the sediments in the lower part of the aerobic layer and upper anaerobic areas are a busy place. In addition to the surface feeding animals discussed above, there are animals here that are only found under the sediment surfaces. These include some of the nematodes or round worms. This is a diverse group containing both herbivores and carnivores; nonetheless, except for a few species, their natural history and aquarium biology is effectively unknown. Some of them will undoubtedly be eating small particulate organic material, either worm feces, algal or bacterial clumps or some other material. Others may eat small polychaete worms or protozoans."

Granted I am taking his word for it a bit which I don't like to do, but I haven't done any of my own studies yet. However, this is his area of expertise. They may not go far into it, but this is not warranted or needed for the sandbed to be efficient and healthy.

The worm is the animal that transfers the nitrate down, you can still get a very small amount of this transfering with out the worm (basically from strong water flow over the bed) but it greatly reduces its functionability.
I don't want to be mistaken for not believing that this process is helped along by worms. My disagreement is solely with your continuous reference to one "WORM". There are many polychaete worms and other bugs living in the sediment and to single one out as the "vital key" to sandbed success or failure is not true. It is the combination of ALL the sandbed animals that facilitate water movement through the sandbed. In fact, much disturbance of the lower regions is not even needed or wanted really, if it was turned too much it wouldn't be low in oxygen and be effective in consuming nitrates.

Hara said:
Cyano grows everywhere once it takes a good hold. (Ask me about it sometime.)
Once it is well established it is simply work. Keep it vacuumed up, lower the nutrient level in the water with ro water changes, good protein skimmer and most
important....time. I have tried the no light theory, it helps with hair algae, but not cyano, I have had it grow in the nozzle of the powerhead, on rocks under the water flow...

I bought some micro hermits, they seemed to like the stuff, but my tank is so
big that they barely make a dent.

Just looked at your pictures on your profile - beautiful tank!!

thank you, it is just now starting to get back to what it was before
the "great crash"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom