sand or crush coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

hi i am just starting a 24 gallon aqua pod and i have crush coral in there now. but i think sand would look a lot better. be for i make my decision i was wondering if there were any pros and cons to each one. i do plan to have a reef tank my live rock should be here thursday.
thanks again
burlinn

Go with the live sand. I had crushed coral for a year and i eventually switched over to sand, because the crushed coral got really dirty and didnt look as natural. The live sand ive had in there for a year and it has never gotten dirty, always stayed a nice clean white. it is also MUCH MUCH more benificial as far as bacteria goes. good luck.

I agree with TeenReefer that you should go with the live sand. The crushed coral is really hard to keep clean and it doesnt even look that good.

Or do a mix. 25% crushed coral to 75% sand. Get the best of both worlds.

The sand sinks to the bottom, when you clean the coral, all you are left with is kinda dirty coral on top of the sand....I am switching from CC to sand right now.....That's just me...I like it to look clean....

True but you can put the crushed coral at the back of the tank and the sand at the front. Crushed coral has the benifit of keeping the tank buffered and akalainity within a normal range right? So it is never a bad idea to have some.

Yup, I agree with you there....I am only leaving about an handful or more of CC, for that reason....Sorry, I forgot to mention that!

crushd coral is slightly harder to keep clean it is closer to the natural reef but in a fish tank i would go with what you think looks better

great so much info. i will be changing to sand here very soon. i guess i will go to lowes or home depot and get some. now i know its going to be very dirty when i get it. should i rinse it befor i put it in the tank?
thanks
burlinn

Make sure you get aragonite sand....Take some vinegar and put some sand on your hand and dump the vinegar on it, it should fizzle and foam if it is the right stuff...

really i did not know that. cool. do i rinse it be for i put it in?
burlinn

thanks so much i will do. i hope my rock gets here soon. i cant wait i will most def post pic of new tank i hope it looks as good as some of yours
mabey with a little luck huh
thanks
burlinn

Back
Top Bottom