Sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thelynchfamily said:
We love the sand in our tank and we went to the hardware store and bought playground sand it looks great! It's so cool seeing the fish "redecorate" !

Vary nice u need to watch out for poison gas bubbles. I love watching my Africans redecorate!

My yellow lab just redecorated his cave. he took all the gravel out of the cave down to the glass bottom. then I believe he knocked up my female :)

he was pretty funny to watch grabbing one piece of gravel at a time preparing for this

NyteGTI said:
My yellow lab just redecorated his cave. he took all the gravel out of the cave down to the glass bottom. then I believe he knocked up my female :)

he was pretty funny to watch grabbing one piece of gravel at a time preparing for this

Mine do that. Grabbing a piece of gravel or deciding to take a plant across to the other side then looking at me like what? What did I do? LoL

About every three weeks we take everything out and stir the sand before doing a water change to release the poison gases. That's my least favorite part. But I think it's worth it!

Thelynchfamily said:
About every three weeks we take everything out and stir the sand before doing a water change to release the poison gases. That's my least favorite part. But I think it's worth it!

What size tank just curious. It would kill me to have to break my tank down. I think I'd have a breakdown.

I don't take any decor out in my cichlid tank. Just shove the siphon into the rocks, caves, and anywhere else. I get a good bit of poo.

Thelynchfamily said:

I had heard about that but I've never had a problem with it. I use pool filter sand, maybe that's why? I do have a tank that is pfs and cichlid sand and the first couple weeks of cleaning it released bubbles but nothing since then. Regardless, I actually siphon my sand just like I do my gravel, I push the siphon down into it and let it tumble. Otherwise the sand gets hard packed and isn't as pretty IMO.

I have to join the sand loving crowd too. I made the switch from gravel to sand a couple of weeks ago and I'll never do gravel again!:smitten:

Reygan2 said:
I have to join the sand loving crowd too. I made the switch from gravel to sand a couple of weeks ago and I'll never do gravel again!:smitten:

Haha!! Ok sandman... I have a interesting set up. Cichlid sand (that's what they call it anyway) as a base. About 25-30 pounds then small natural gravel. So... I guess you can say I'm on both sides?

:)

Haha!! Ok sandman... I have a interesting set up. Cichlid sand (that's what they call it anyway) as a base. About 25-30 pounds then small natural gravel. So... I guess you can say I'm on both sides?

:)

I guess technically I am too, one of my 29's still has natural gravel, but when I get my next tank it will have sand;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom