sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry I'm posting a lot today, have so many questions suddenly!

I currently have crushed coral in my tank, purely because my friend gave me a new bag for free when he bought too much and as much as I research everything, I didn't think to research this! Oops. So I have 2 cories in my tank and. A bristlenose pleco on the bottom and am making it up to 8 cories soon but I've just found out that crushed coral is bad for them so I'm going to get new gravel or sand tomorrow but can't decide which??

Its between smooth small pebbles - I like natural look - or sand. Which would better for the cories and the pleco? I plan on adding german blue rams and possibly a pearl gourami if this makes a difference. Only other fish in there are guppies. Thanks

Also, would sand cloud my tank because I have 2 bubble stones?

There are pros and cons to both, but I think sand has more cons. Sand is more difficult to clean (and keep clean), more likely to create anaerobic pockets and may end up getting sucked into the filter intake if disturbed. That said, sand looks more natural.

If you end up with substrate-burrowing fish, sand is better. Otherwise, I personally prefer gravel.

Just my .02.

David

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I personally prefer gravel too but everywhere says I shouldd have sand for cories. My thoughts are, with a bristlenose pleco who poos a lot its going to look so messy with sand :s

Back
Top Bottom