Sand or Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a freshwater tank..

I hear good and bad about sand. I love the look of sand but apparently sand can cause a lot of trouble? And Im going to have a small school of corydoras in this tank and hopefully loaches. :)

I've switched all of my tanks over to sand and have yet to have any problems with it at all. It seems to be a lot easier to keep the tank clean when you use sand but gravel tends to hide the dirtiness a lot better.

Are you thinking of going planted down the road? If so, go with eco complete or floramax. There's a fine grade eco complete that would probably be easier on the corys' barbels. But if it had to be between gravel and sand, I'd go sand.

+1 sand looks way better imo and keeps the tank much cleaner. you may see a little poop on the top but that can come out with siphoning where with gravel it can get all down in the gravel and build up. i switched to sand and i would never go back lol.

I read someone that the sand can produce this type of gas if you stir it up, is that true?

I've never seen the gas pockets personally but they can happen. Just run your fingers through the sand occasionally.

The dangers of anaerobic pockets in sand tanks are extremely over rated. I have seen gas escape from dirted tanks and actually hit fish on the way up without causing any ill effects. The gas travels through the water and hits the surface so quickly it doesn't have time to cause any damage.

I have a thread on the subject, ill be making the switch today or tomorrow, follow my experience before making your choice:)

Hello Kate...

Sand can be troublesome. It can compact in areas and may cause water chemistry problems. It looks nice, but a standard pea-sized, polished gravel is preferable for your Corys. Corydoras can have problems with bacteria affecting their barbels (small whiskers) if they injure one. It would be best to have a substrate that would allow for good water movement to keep bacteria to a minimum.

B

Does pool filter sand work? It's so much cheaper and I heard it's just as good.

Sand! Pool sand works great. I have been in this hobby for a long time and I have to say this is by far my favorite substrate. I have eco complete in a tank and love it, but if your looking for a less expensive alternative to your more expensive sands that the pet shops sell, pool sand is great. It comes pretty clean and settles really nice. If you run your fingers or say the end of a net handle through the sand every so often you will never have an issue. I have a build I just did of my 125 with pool sand if you want to get an idea of what it looks like.

I've been using pool sand for 20+ years on my tanks.

I did tons of research on each type of sand and I decided to go with pool filtration sand. it's heavier than standard sand, so it falls to the bottom fast when a fish kicks it up. It's silica based so it's inert. meaning it does nothing to your water chemistry. it is very compact so debris and food particles do not penetrate, which is great for the cats that clean up the bottom of uneaten flakes.

I would never go back to gravel again, all my tanks are now using this sand.
not to mention is SUPER CHEAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get 50lb bag for $17
granted I needed 4 bags, but it was worth it in the end.

here are some sand pics of my tanks
60421-albums12766-picture59241.jpg

60421-albums12766-picture59235.jpg

60421-albums12766-picture58819.jpg

60421-albums12766-picture58853.jpg

60421-albums9572-picture38879.jpg

60421-albums9572-picture40237.jpg

Back
Top Bottom