Sand Pre-filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smaug21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've decided to put my frog in my 29g tank thats been empty for a few months here. (after the disaster of putting some soon-to-be-flushed fish into an aparently not cycled tank) ACF's have a habit of eating substrate and i'm tired of the crap that gets in his current to-large-to-eat gravel so i got some sand for the new setup.

I've found a few different sites that have suggested that sand can get into the impeller of a filter and wear it down or break it. Can sand cause that much of a problem? or is it one of those "better safe the sorry" sort of deals? I put this in the DIY section because my idea to fix it is to just attach a simple sponge with zip ties or something similar to the intake of my Eheim Canister filter, something like in the air powered filter down about a page. Is that a good way to keep sand out of the filter?

If this isn't a good plan i'm always up for alternative ideas.

I just did the sponge over the intake for the first couple of months, got tired of washing the sponge and finally just took it off. The sand had settled, even when gravel vac'ing and I haven't had a problem with it wearing on the impeller since then. Actually never even had to clean the impeller.

It all depends on how fine the sand you have is, so it is a good precaution to use a sponge at first. After a few gravel vacuuming sessions, you should have most of the finer particles removed from the substrate. Then it might be okay to go without it. I prefer just to use it all the time.

Ok seems to be the consensus so far, before i go home for the night, that it's a better safe then sorry, but still should be tried.

I think i'm gonna go with the cheap sponge thing because it's probably cheaper then a sponge from a store like i've been seeing for a few filters, and because it might not be nesecary after a bit.

But i'll check back thursday and see if anybody has other ideas.

I have been using the black sand blasting sand for 2 years now and have yet to have any problems with it effecting my filter or powerhead. Once it settles I think you should be fine and like theotheragentm said a few vac sessions and the finer particals will be gone anyways. good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom