Sand produces cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put sand in as the substrate in my 10 gal. The water is still pretty cloudy, anything I can do about that?

the trick with any substrate (gravel, sand, coral etc...) is to not disturb it when filling the tank.

put a plate or fill on the sides of the tank so there is little splash to cause the substate to be disrupted.

If you didn't rinse the sand really well then your tank will cloud up whenever the sand is disturbed. With my pool filter sand I washed it really well and I can stir it up without the water clouding. Just takes a lot of time to do correctly.

Bubble_B0y has a good idea with the plate trick. Works very well. If your tank is too small for a plate than use a cup, just go a bit slower.

Yes i used a plate when i filled the tank, but it got pretty dirty once I added the "goo" from the old substrate. I did a pwc and that's when the water seemed to get cloudy. There are no fish in the tank so if I need to I can redo the sand - would that disturb the cycle?

So the tank got cloudy right after you added the "goo" from the old substrate? If so, it's not the substrate. It's the "goo".

Back
Top Bottom