Sand sifting reef safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gza166

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me a good sand sifting reef safe animal for a 30g? Thanks

I myself am curios. I hate when my sand gets all dirty looking. I'm rocks have coraline and it causes the sand to purple. Let me know if you find an answer.

I know there's San shifting gobies but I'm not positive that they're reef safe

nassarius snails will be your best bet. I have 5 of them in my 28 cube sporting softie and lps corals. They are constantly under the sand shifting it. They only cast like 3-4 bucks a snail. Liveaquaria sells them in their reef cleaner packs.

Ya I know I was hoping for some feedback on which ones worked really well

They are actually pretty cool to watch, don't know if you seen those gobys eat sand.

Yellow face jaw fish, I have one and he's plowing through my sand and my orange spotted goby has made some pretty awesome underground tunnels. The jaw fish is just amazing to watch.

Here's my jaw fish

image-3656596716.jpg

And here's my orange spotted goby

image-2188423511.jpg

**Just make sure your rock work is down to the bottom of the tank. Put your rocks in first then the sand. Once these guys start tunneling through your tank if the rocks are unstable it could cause some major issues. My buddy had a tank bottom crack because he put sand first then rock. Just a little helpful tip.

Also these guys are in my BC29

Oh and there are snails that hide in the sand and pop out when you feed so they would be stirring up the sand as well. And then you have sand sifting star fish. All are reef safe.

I have a twospot goby and a sand sifting star. Every here warns against them but so far so good. Have had the goby about a month and a half and the star for probably 6-7 months.

Thank you everyone, leaning towards some super Tongan Nassarius Snail and maybe a goby

Will any of those sand sifting gobies be ok with a firefish goby

The only thing I would think about is that sand sifting stars and gobies sift the sand, but for the beneficial creatures that live there. If you want a sandbed to help you water quality, I would recommend nassarius snails.

Gza166 said:
Will any of those sand sifting gobies be ok with a firefish goby

I would say yes. Firefish goby's are generally peaceful except there own kind they can be semi aggressive.

I've also read that they do better in pairs specifically mated pairs.

Back
Top Bottom