Sand silicates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

__b_3_n__

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got some new sand and I am going to wash it thoroughly but is there a way to get the silicates out of the sand first because I really don't want it to cause fungus and algae like my other tank

You have to remember that sand is 90% silicon dioxide. Silica is its main ingredient. The best you can do is to rinse it over and over as much as you can stand. There's still no guarantee that this will keep you from getting diatoms, but should help to minimize it. While the tank is new keep your lighting down to about six hours a day for about the first month. Unfortunately silicates comes with using sand. Hopefully, someone out there has a way to use sand in a new tank without the problems. But I haven't read of anybody doing it yet. OS.

You have to remember that sand is 90% silicon dioxide. Silica is its main ingredient. The best you can do is to rinse it over and over as much as you can stand. There's still no guarantee that this will keep you from getting diatoms, but should help to minimize it. While the tank is new keep your lighting down to about six hours a day for about the first month. Unfortunately silicates comes with using sand. Hopefully, someone out there has a way to use sand in a new tank without the problems. But I haven't read of anybody doing it yet. OS.

Thanks! And is it a good idea to use play sand that you get at like a hardware store because I got a 50 pound bag for only 4 dollars!

Back
Top Bottom