Sand substrate (pool filter sand?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
A while back I decided that I wanted to try sand in my 5 gallon tank. it didn't go very well. I bought some sand from petsmart and it ended up being super fine. The filter kept moving it around a lot and it was just causing me a hassle. so I took it out. But I still really want sand for my 5 gallon and my 10 gallon tank. after doing some reserach it seems that a lot of people like to use pool filter sand because it has larger grains in it. I wanted to know what everyone thought of this. Also i'm open to suggestions of different sands I can use.

PFS is the way to go if you want to keep that beige colored sandy look. Small enough to give that fine substrate look, but coarse enough to avoid clouding up the water since it sinks very rapidly.

Interesting, now I have bought any pool filter sand myself, but I did some inquiring last week from our local pool store and they informed me that pool filter sand is typically diatomaceous earth. Now diatomaceous earth is very fine "sandy" particles composed of thousands of microscopic diatom shells, almost like a flour. Is the diatomaceous sand that you all talk about the same as or different from that? Sorry if I'm highjacking the thread, just curious to know.

PFS is much larger grained than your typical beach sand. I would say it is about the size of a piece of rice cut in half. A filter should not move this around like you would with playsand or something similar.

Wy Renegade - I'm kind of curious about this as well. When I mentioned the idea of pool filter sand to my boyfriend (who's family has a pool) he told me the sand that they bought was rather fine. But from what I read it seems pool filter sand in different size grains. I thought this could pose a difficulty when buying pool filter sand because you can't see in the bag when looking at it.

There are two types of pool filters. One uses diatomaceous earth, the other uses sand. The diatomaceous earth is very fine, like powdered sugar. Pool filter sand is basically just clean sand with grains a little bigger than granulated sugar.

There are several options for sand in your tank. I use play sand (tan), Quickrete Medium Sand (white), and Black Blast blasting compound (black) in my tanks. They range in price from $3-$8 for a 50lb bag. I don't see the point of spending a ton of money on fancy sand when I can find cheap alternatives at the hardware store.

There are two types of pool filters. One uses diatomaceous earth, the other uses sand. The diatomaceous earth is very fine, like powdered sugar. Pool filter sand is basically just clean sand with grains a little bigger than granulated sugar.

There are several options for sand in your tank. I use play sand (tan), Quickrete Medium Sand (white), and Black Blast blasting compound (black) in my tanks. They range in price from $3-$8 for a 50lb bag. I don't see the point of spending a ton of money on fancy sand when I can find cheap alternatives at the hardware store.

Thanks BigJim for the info.

If you want black... Try black blasting sand.... I love mine and haven't had any trouble in any of my tanks with it... I just like the dark look and it's cheap too

I'm pretty sure Quickrete Medium Sand is just PFS under a different name. It has round white uniform grains and looks like granulated sugar. It was cheaper that PFS, but I think you're paying for the "Pool" on the bag.

Pool filter sand is not the same as diatomaceous earth. DE is a powder like substance and meant to be used in DE pool filters. I use it in my pool filter and you do not want to use it as a tank substrate. Good grief that would be a huge mess.

PFS is much larger grained than your typical beach sand. I would say it is about the size of a piece of rice cut in half. A filter should not move this around like you would with playsand or something similar.

I personally have never seen pfs where the grains were half the size of a grain of rice, much smaller than that from my experience. Either that or my rice is just bigger lol who knows.

With the black blasting sand since it is just coal slag did it make your water look dirty at first or did you just have to clean it a lot more?

I personally have never seen pfs where the grains were half the size of a grain of rice, much smaller than that from my experience. Either that or my rice is just bigger lol who knows.

Here's a shot of AquaQuartz PFS vs Quikrete's Premium Playsand. Playsand is comparable to table salt I'd say. PFS is, like I said, about a grain of rice cut in half.

HwSb4.jpg

I use quik-rite, the bottom one and it stays put and out of my filter...it has worked great with a slight discoloration but still very white...wish I have the darker one but still happy. My plants root very well and depending on water flow...I have a Rena XP3 in my 20g long, it creates nice contours.

meegosh said:
Here's a shot of AquaQuartz PFS vs Quikrete's Premium Playsand. Playsand is comparable to table salt I'd say. PFS is, like I said, about a grain of rice cut in half.

Dang I have never seen pfs like that mine is a lot finer. Thanks for the pic.

Rhino said:
With the black blasting sand since it is just coal slag did it make your water look dirty at first or did you just have to clean it a lot more?

I have black blasting sand in mine, waters always been crystal clear... There are some shots in my photo album....

Back
Top Bottom