sand types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use pool filter sand. There is a converter on this site that will help you decide how many pounds based on the depth. I have 125 gals, and used 150 lbs of sand.

I would be careful with play sand since some brands are supposed to raise the pH. You could try pool filter sand. I have that in my tank too and no problem, got it at Lowes.

I also use Pool Filter Sand from the local pool shop. I only used 110 lbs in the 150 gal tank, but the dimensions play a big factor in determining how much sand to use. Also, it depends how deep you want the sand. I have only seen it sold by 50 lb bags. I'd buy one bag, you should be safe and have left overs.

Yes it should be enough and if you let the sand amount rise towards the back of the tank it will look exspecially nice! But I guess you already knew that :wink: .

No, don't use diatomaceous earth. It's not good. Look for plain old pool filter sand. It works great. If not at a hardware store, look at the local pool and hot tub shop. I put a 50lb bag in my 55G, got good depth for burrowing fish like my eels and dojo's. DE is terrible for tanks, and not good for the fish.

I just got some pool filter sand from home depot.. the guy said they didn't have any but i was walking down the isles and i found it out in the garden center (not even by the pool stuff.. LOL) But it cost me about 3 bucks for a 50 pound bag.

I didn't get mine at Home Depot, but it just said Pool Filter Sand on the front of the bag. I think that last link might be ok, but get others opinions in here first. I've never used that brand, so I'm not sure what it's like. If it's just regular pool filter sand, then it is ok. Anyone have any experience with that brand name?

For more info, here's a post by TankGirl. Lots of good info here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64504&highlight=pool+filter+sand

I like sand as well. Be very careful when changing your tank, as you can start a mini-cycle when removing substrate, since you will be stirring up all kinds of debris in the gravel when you do, and your gravel contains a major portion of your biofilter.

Sand will eliminate the accumulation of debris that you have with gravel, but, as mentioned, debris shows up very well on white sand. Solid black sand has the very same problem. Sand that is a mixture of tan, brown and white, or black and white solves this very nicely and looks natural, IMO.

You will no longer dig your syphon hose into the substrate to clean it, or you will wind up with sand going down your drain or into your bucket. What I do is wave the rigid end of the syphon hose around, or my hand, to lift debris up so I can suction it off. Many plants do well in sand because it is easy for the roots to get anchored.

Good luck!

hi again...

And if you don't like stirring, you can get one of 3 things.....

1. MTS
2. Dojo (Weather) Loaches
HPIM2123.jpg

3. Fire Eels or any eels (My Golden Dojo Loach showing his head on the far left.
HPIM2079.jpg

mine just says pool filter sand on the front of the bag.. i think it cost like 3.89 or something like that, but it was really cheap. I just got it today for my new 10 gallon and i only used half the bag.

Back
Top Bottom