Sand vs. Gravel.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been looking at different tank set-ups and really like the looks of some that have sand rather than gravel, are there benefits of sand that you don't get with gravel or is it merely personal preference?

I have PFS (pool filter sand) in 2 tanks and gravel in one and that tank will get a make over that'll include PFS as well. I like the look of it, I also have plants in all the tanks so it's a better substrate to plant in and clean up is easier IMO.

shammond15731 said:
I have been looking at different tank set-ups and really like the looks of some that have sand rather than gravel, are there benefits of sand that you don't get with gravel or is it merely personal preference?

IMO is a matter of personal preference.

Sand is much more natural and a lot cleaner. It is less maintenance. It is not just preference.

Fishguy2727 said:
Sand is much more natural and a lot cleaner. It is less maintenance. It is not just preference.

Very good point and I was thinking that it would be easier to clean as well. If I were to go with a new 29 gallon planted tank do you have any suggestions for plants and fish? I have not had a planted tank before and am not sure which fish and plants will be best together.

Very good point and I was thinking that it would be easier to clean as well. If I were to go with a new 29 gallon planted tank do you have any suggestions for plants and fish? I have not had a planted tank before and am not sure which fish and plants will be best together.

A lot depends on what kind of lighting you have, like wattage and kelvin rating (ie 6700K).

Go to plantgeek.net and they have plants listed by lighting requirements (low, med, high)

As long as the fish fit and don't eat plants they should be fine.

Try the plants you like. If I had stuck with the plants that others decided would work I wouldnot have had 95% of the plants I have had. And effectively all have worked well to too well.

It really depends on the type of planted tank you want. I want a fish tank that has plants in it, so the fish come first. To me that means not doing anything that would be risky to the fish but help the plants. So I never use CO2. I have used liquid carbon supplements (got my cabomba to grow 4" in 24 hours). A little extra light, maybe some basic fertilizers, and try some plants. If you go with the sand I recommended use some root tabs to give it some nutrients for the plants to use.

I most definitely want what is best for my fish so I will do some reading and learning before I attempt this venture and I am sure I will be haveing more questions.

Back
Top Bottom