Sand vs. Rock/Gravel for plant benefits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakotronic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I was hoping I could get some advice on sand in the planted aquarium. I have a 29g planted tank that has been stocked for 2 months now. It has 25 lbs of gravel and quarter sized rock as substrate, but I'm thinking that sand might be easier for the plants to grow in and be over all a cleaner substrate.
1) how do you guys feel about sand? And would it even be worth it to completely change substrates. Opinions and past experiences are greatly appreciated!
2) how do you recommend me switching over to sand? I do plan on using to same water for the new set up and some 5g buckets to hold the fish and the water. But I have never "moved" fish like this.
3) I have a cave set up for my cats to use if they like so would I need to brace the structure if I use sand? It is made up of 3 rocks stacked around a flower pot. Attached is a picture of the cave.
4) can you or do you need an under gravel filter with sand?

Thanks in advance! I would love some opinions on this.

Jenn

Attachments

• 1413206621041.jpg
    1413206621041.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 65
Bottom Material

Hello Jenn...

The pea-sized polished gravel is what I use. I keep a lot of different fish and this bottom material is easy to clean and fine for the bottom dwellers, like Corydoras and Plecos.

I've avoided sand, because it compacts in areas and develops voids in others that can cause water chemistry problems. Changing out the substrate is a lot of work and the return for your effort is minimal.

The undergravel filter is old technology and not used for planted aquarium plants. A good filter that hangs on the back of the tank is best for regular use. Hagen has a good product.

B

Gravel doesn't hold nutrients near the roots as well as sand. A lot of uneaten food can travel into gravel as well.

I use sand in 2 tanks and will probably never use gravel again.

Never had an issue with my sand compacting. I occasionally stir it with a chopstick. Voids ? What voids ? A void would fill itself in ....

Going on years with my black sand tanks. Happy plants, zero issues. I use basic liquid fertilizer as well as root tabs.

My Cories LOVED the sand and would bury their noses up to their eyeballs in it.

I vacuum above the sand. A gentle swirl will bring up any detritus that can be sucked out with the water change.

You should always put your rocks onto the glass bottom of the tank and then fill in with sand or gravel to make the most stable structure. Or you can use a aquarium safe glue and just glue the structure together which might be the best way to go

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom