sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some sand that I collected from the beach in Fla It was collected dry and has been in an ice chest for about 2 years. Do you think it is okay to use? I am concerned about it sitting up that long cause of bacteria and mold. How would you sterilize it?

It's not the things that grow that would worry me so much as the OTHER things that are in there: Motor oil, fertilizer, farm waste run-off, etc.

It has been in an ice chest with a lid. You still think some of that other stuff may have gotten in there?

It has been in an ice chest with a lid. You still think some of that other stuff may have gotten in there?

I think he is making a comment about the quality of our beaches.

Yeah, tmk, that stuff on the beach very easily could be polluted. If it was, then even sitting in a chest for 2 years isnt' going to solve that issue. If it is polluted and you put it in your tank, it could kill everything.

Yes I`ve heard others that got sand on the beach and had problems. I dont think I would trust it.

I agree; although, if you can find jetties and secluded areas where there is abundant aquatic life it would be better than beach sand. Stay away from nearbye streams and other areas with run-off. Fact of the matter is, the safest bet is purchasing dry sand from a reputable source.

**Ha, forgot to answer the question. To sterilize I would bleach heavily (Clorox) and dry it out completely, letting it sit for days in the sun. I'm not sure it's worth your time flaming as well when you could just purchase quality sand ;)

Sand goes in your sandbag in preparation for our next hurricane lol. Seriously, there is probably salts within the sand that will destroy your soilbed. Have any potholes that need to be filled? :p

Back
Top Bottom