Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to the beach this weekend and I was wondering if brougt home beach sand could I use it in my fish tank?

Good question. You'd probably want to rinse it out really well over a few days and then remove any cigarette butts, six pack rings, and aluminum cans.

Hopefully someone else that has used it will chime in, although I don't see why you couldn't.

I'd be mostly concerned about the salt content in the tank. You have a freshwater tank, right?

If it was me, I'd enjoy the feel of the sand between my toes, but I would never add to a tank.

Aside from the salinity factor, I would worry about the tons of pollutants that beach sand contains, aside from the cigarette butts, things like motor oil, manufacturing run-off, etc.

The beach is in fire island NY...... And if I rinse it out and bake it do you think it would be good?

I would not use it unless it was obtained offshore and even then I would not put it in a freshwater

Fishguy1997 said:
The beach is in fire island NY...... And if I rinse it out and bake it do you think it would be good?

For this I agree with Lynda, the reason I asked was because some beaches have a higher salt content. Why not try some natural play sand? You can get it at Walmart for like 3 bucks a bag and it looks the same without the worry of introducing nasty things into your tank. I'm sorry this is prob not the answer you were hoping for but Lynda is right about the things that the sand could carry.

Thanks I guess I won't do that then I think I'll get play sand or something because I wAnt to make my 10 gallon a heavily planted tank but Ik gravel Isnt good for it... So I want to do samd but would gravel work?

Thanks I guess I won't do that then I think I'll get play sand or something because I wAnt to make my 10 gallon a heavily planted tank but Ik gravel Isnt good for it... So I want to do samd but would gravel work?
For some plants gravel is the only way. It can work either way and if you layer you get the best of both worlds.

What plants would those be?
IMO cabomba will struggle without either gravel or root tabs (but I havent tried the root tabs myself). Any plant that absorbs most of its nutrients through its roots will do better with gravel though.

Thanks I'm going
To look into some good plants for gravel and some good carpeting plants so I can have a densely played tank so I don't have to put the female guppies in the breeder box when I want to save the fry so the fry can hide in the plants and I want shrimp which I heard will THRIVE in a densely planted tank!

IMO cabomba will struggle without either gravel or root tabs (but I havent tried the root tabs myself). Any plant that absorbs most of its nutrients through its roots will do better with gravel though.

I was asking because basic gravel is does not have much in the way of CEC. Sand is a little better because it has more surface area but it's not that great either on it's own. Using a high cec substrate material like a fired clay product, laterite, fluorite, etc is what most planted tank people do.

Cabomba actually grows well floating also. I've never heard of a plant that will grow only in gravel.

I googled what plants would be good in a gravel tank and i found this : java moss ( attaches to driftwood, or can freefloat)
amazon sword plant ( into substrate)
crypts ( substrate, but I like the driftwood look)
marimo balls (moss, that just roams around the tank)
hornwort ( into the substrate)
flame moss ( a nice looking moss and attaches to driftwood)

does anyone have any expierce with these?
How big do they grow?
How fast do they grow?
And will they make for a heavily planted tank?
And do you guys recomend liquid or dry ferts?
and what kind should i get?

I dont know what cec is. I based this one my experience and opinion. I am not saying they wont grow but they will do better. The gravel traps nutrients better.

GodFan said:
I dont know what cec is. I based this one my experience and opinion. I am not saying they wont grow but they will do better. The gravel traps nutrients better.

I'm sorry but I have to politely disagree. When you try to add root tabs for Swords in gravel, the Ferts sometimes come up into the water column.
I've tried gravel and sand, my plants like sand much better. I'd say my plants tolerate my gravel tank.

CEC = Cation Exchange Capacity
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu5w

Coursair said:
I'm sorry but I have to politely disagree. When you try to add root tabs for Swords in gravel, the Ferts sometimes come up into the water column.
CEC = Cation Exchange Capacity
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu5w

politely? Really coursair I didn't know you knew the word! Lol I'm just joshing ya had to add that comment because I just read one of your posts I think it was something about honey? To the OP I know NOTHING about planted tanks but I wish you the best of luck!

Fishguy1997 said:
I googled what plants would be good in a gravel tank and i found this : java moss ( attaches to driftwood, or can freefloat)
amazon sword plant ( into substrate)
crypts ( substrate, but I like the driftwood look)
marimo balls (moss, that just roams around the tank)
hornwort ( into the substrate)
flame moss ( a nice looking moss and attaches to driftwood)

does anyone have any expierce with these?
How big do they grow?
How fast do they grow?
And will they make for a heavily planted tank?
And do you guys recomend liquid or dry ferts?
and what kind should i get?

I have a densely planted Shrimp Jungle

Specs are in my profile and albums

Btw I LOVE my Crypts. They look great in my black sand tanks.

Its all good man. This was based on my cheapskate, Im not gonna buy any kind of root tabs, experience lol

Back
Top Bottom