Sandy's new 75 gal tank build journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for so many questions. . .
Do you think this driftwood would work? It has been setting in our yard in the hot sun for 4 years now. found at a nearby lake. Only critters would be a few spiders. But may have been exposed to pesticide a few years ago when house was sprayed.

Attachments

• image-3262212665.jpg
    image-3262212665.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
Another question, would this rock be ok in the aquarium? Hubby can break apart if so. It already broke apart in 2 pieces when dropped.

I don't know what type it is. Maybe granite or marble of some sort? It has white sparkles in it.

Attachments

• image-2551972448.jpg
    image-2551972448.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3203105957.jpg
    image-3203105957.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 46
For the 306 I would take out the carbon pack and replace it with polyfill and I don't suggest buying any more "polishing pads" from fluval either, use the ones that came with it but don't waste your money when polyfill works just as good or better and is $3 for a large bag of it.

The polyfill fiber worked great and saved money!

Another question, would this rock be ok in the aquarium? Hubby can break apart if so. It already broke apart in 2 pieces when dropped.

I don't know what type it is. Maybe granite or marble of some sort? It has white sparkles in it.

One test I was told to try with rocks that I wanted to put in my aquarium was to drop vinegar on it to see if it fizzes. If it sits on there for a while with no bubbling, supposedly the rock is not going to add any minerals to your aquarium. Not sure how totally accurate this is, but at least it's a starting place!

The issue with large hills or deep substrate is anaerobic pockets, I'm not sure if what you did will work or not but I have seen it suggested before

Back
Top Bottom