Saulosi or Apistos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
When i upgrade my 35G (31.5x14x18) i plan on using it for some cichlids. Obviously if i went with africans i would keep it to a species only tank. I was thinking for africans i would go with 15 Pseudotropheus saulosi with 12 females and 3 males. I would also have a BN pleco for cleanup. I understand it is overstocked but shouldn't it be considering my tank isn't that long to bring down aggression?

My other option would be for apistos. I figure i can have 10-20 fish and 3-4 different species but i don't have experience with apistos. As far as stock goes i definitely want Apistogramma cacatuoides (Red), Apistogramma agassizii and Apistogramma trifasciata. How would i go about male to female ratio?

I appreciate any help/suggestions! Thanks!

so only 2 fish? or a single pair of one species and only females of the other?

35g really doesn't offer alot of real estate when it comes to cichlids and their individual territories needed. If you were set on mbuna I would look into Afra Cobue stocked 1m/5f and consider that stocked(even then has a chance of failing). Other options would be a pair of Sajicas, Honduran Red Points, Rainbows, or Kanna's would be very cool as well.

I'm really liking the honduran red points. A pair would be pretty cool and i could sell fry locally or online which is something i would like to start. I've read that they aren't as aggressive when spawning so i suppose a BN pleco would do fine right?

Nice pictures! I'm really starting to like the HRPs. Do you have a confirmed scientific name? I'm getting all kinds of different answers online.

The sajicas are nice but i'm getting mixed feelings for them.

Alright thanks for your help! I'm going to do some more reading but i'll likely end up with a pair of HRP and an albino BN.

Back
Top Bottom