save the pleco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debsmegusta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About 2 and a half months ago I got a 29 gal tank for my pleco and cory catfish. I got the tank, put in the gravel and plants, filled it with water and treated it. A week later I added 5 guppies. A little over a month later I added my pleco and cory. Everything was fine. One of the guppies died but I think it was from bullying. THEN I got a platy about a week ago. I think it introduced fin rot because another guppy died. Then the platy. Then guppies kept acting lethargic and I noticed their tails were shredded but never saw any nipping. The platy died 3 days ago and the other 4 guppies have died since then. I noticed the one from this morning had practically no tail left.

I'm changing the water, but I'm guessing that's not enough. I think the pleco's tail is starting to shred and I've had that fish for years so I don't want to lose it. How do I fix my tank?

I tested the water and everything looked great. The temp is around 76 right now. My pleco kept coming up for air but I took ~7 gal out of the tank this morning and he hasn't had problems since (maybe because the water falling from the filter is making bubbles for him - making more O2 available?). My filter is Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and my pleco is about 8 or 9 in. My cory is like 1 in. The guppies were all 1 and the platy was maybe 2. I had just changed out 5 gallons while cleaning the filter before all the bad stuff happened. I let each fish stay in their bag and float on top of the water for at least 10 mins before introducing them to the tank and a few weeks ago I used a banquet block for the pleco for the first time and I added another one a couple days ago. I took it out this morning.

Back
Top Bottom