scarlet badis tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank and I looove those little scarlet basis. They're too cute. I'm planning on having a fairly heavily planted tank. I'd like some suggestions on tank mates for them. I'd like something on the large-ish size but if there really isn't anything compatible other suggestions would be welcome!

The badis are neat little fish and as long as you stay away from aggressive bottom dwellers you should be OK. The issues with badis is they are timid and don't compete for food. You can go with small livebearers on top or maybe some licorice gouramis-My choice by far. Just a caution, dwarf gouramis will not work. In the middle stick with smallish stuff. You could go with rosy barbs, cherry barbs-half normal the other half albino, gold barbs, another favorite penguine tetras, glowlights, lemons, harliqune rasboras or any number of similar fish. Celestrial Danios would work as well. You can also add multiple shoals of the fish above in groups of 6-8. On the bottom, cherry shrimp would look great. If the badis eat most of the fry oh well you have well fed badis.

Stay away from cichlids and some of the larger tetras. I would also forgo corys as they don't mean to be a problem but would be. You may want to go with some giant ramshorn or mystery snails. I'd avoid MTS as they burrow and may disrupt the badis.

I try to stick to just Nano fish to go with SBs.
My largest are Otos or Threadfin Rainbows.

They may starve otherwise. They won't compete for food. They stalk their food. Perhaps a 5 or 10g just for the SBs and RCS ?

If you check my profile you'll see my stock list.
CPDs have been fine. They prefer live or frozen food. Mine will eat finely crumbled flakes.

Haha Maybe I can convince my husband to let me get another tank.... Its only a 5! And these babies are so cute....

Back
Top Bottom