Scat (and a few others) Keeps Pulling Up Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquachic4545

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering, I'm thinking of using these round flat disc things they sell at Joanne for doing cross stitching to anchor some of my grass like plants down (basically use fish string to sew them to the disc). It's that underwater plant that looks like short grass. The discs are those plastic thingies that look like they have holes in them for doing something like cross stitching. Has anyone ever tried something like this? I'm just tired of coming home to floating grass at the surface (plus my poor plants aren't having time to root!).

I have not used them, but have seen folks use them with success.

I was wondering, I'm thinking of using these round flat disc things they sell at Joanne for doing cross stitching to anchor some of my grass like plants down (basically use fish string to sew them to the disc). It's that underwater plant that looks like short grass. The discs are those plastic thingies that look like they have holes in them for doing something like cross stitching. Has anyone ever tried something like this? I'm just tired of coming home to floating grass at the surface (plus my poor plants aren't having time to root!).

They work great, I use undyed thread myself because it's easier to stitch it on, but I'm sure the fishing line will work too.

Hmm. Undyed thread. I hadn't thought of that. I did try to tie something with fish string in the past and boy is it a pain. Thread would be way better. Where did you get the thread? I have a Joanne Fabrics and a Michaels near me.

Monica

Hmm. Undyed thread. I hadn't thought of that. I did try to tie something with fish string in the past and boy is it a pain. Thread would be way better. Where did you get the thread? I have a Joanne Fabrics and a Michaels near me.

Monica

I think I've had it forever, but either of those places should have it. Might be a bit more than regular thread, but like a bottle of ammo for cycling, it'll last a lifetime lol.

38224-albums1668-picture11206.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought I should post said Scat. Green. He's the terminator of plants.

I think your problem may lie in your plant choices. Seems like some of the plants I see in there don't typically do very well at all in a brackish tank. The ludwigia is one of them.

Oh, the ones in the back were in a brackish tank before this one and were looking BEAUTIFUL and then my Scat ate them like they were lettuce so now they look like Christmas trees. I'm hoping the light will help them regrow and I'm now feeding veggie pellets to the Scat in the hopes he'll leave them alone. He's obsessed with anything that has long leaves.

I'm not very familiar with brackish compatible plants, but if you check here, there is a whole list of them. I just know that Mr. Limpet had some issues with plants that he was trying to put in his brackish tank, and ludwigia was one of them IIRC.

+1 for the link rookie posted, it's my go to page for my BW tank plants and that site in general for any plant.

I put FW only plants in to aid the cycle, but they came out before I started the conversion to BW. If the plant can't take the salt water, I'd pull it other wise it's going to rot and foul your tank.

On a different note, if your fish likes a plant for whatever reason, there's nothing you can do. My planted DT with Moors/Panda gets shredded all the time, either because they like to eat them or they don't like my decorating technique lol. It's the price you pay for having both, but FW is easier though because you don't have to acclimate the plants to BW.

Scats will DECIMATE any plants you put in your aquarium. I feed my dried seaweed from the supermarket but he will still devour any live plant I put in there.
Java Fern is said to be poisonous to Scats, but I had one in there and he wouldn't touch it, he must have known... anyway it was the only plant that didn't get munched up :) I use silk plants now and supplement my Scats diet with lots of seaweed, algae pellets, veges etc.

Back
Top Bottom