School of Yellow Tail Damsels OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have heard of people using a school of chromis to make a nice display but how about a school (10) of damsels? I know they are mean but if you choose your inhabitants right, can they do just fine like the chromis? I need something "busy" to hover around the coral heads. I have 125 gallon tank. DP

Hi all,

I have heard of people using a school of chromis to make a nice display but how about a school (10) of damsels? I know they are mean but if you choose your inhabitants right, can they do just fine like the chromis? I need something "busy" to hover around the coral heads. I have 125 gallon tank. DP

damsels are known to be aggressive. They might be ok but I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a few injuries.

Neopomacentrus species should be fine, as they are mostly schooling species. I've kept schools of several species years ago (back when I was able to collect my own marine fish in Australia) and never had any problems with aggression.

Tony

Hello all,

Few months ago, I stocked 10 yellow tail damsels in my 130 G tank. The next day one died and 9 of them get together very well. Infact the hang around the toadstool coral and make a very nice display. There are some chasing here and there but nothing rough. Yesterday I counted and looked like one just vanished. All the other 8 are healthy and getting bigger. Now comes the questions:

1. What explains sudden death?
2. Should I add one more to make an UNEVEN lot as I read in books about stocking damsels?

Thanks DP

from what ive read about yelloy tails, they are the nicer of the damsels if introduced after other fish, I stocked 2 when i set up my 47 gal to help cycle it, and these 2 damsels claimed the tank, I had 1 dominant one and he terrorised everyting in the tank, he even used to flash his fins and flap his tail at his reflection in the corners of the tank...I caught one but the other one has just learnd every trick ive thrown at him and I refuse to tear my tank apart for 1 yellow tail... right now he is harassing my 2 false percs, not nearly as much as when i put them in but they deffinately can not swim all over the tank freely but they seem to like playing with my powerhead so it works out, he doesnt like the current

Damsals are territorial as all get out... i had 3 in my 125g.. i had 1 dominant one that would go up to even that of my lionfish and slap him across the face with his fin. they arnt the nicest fish ive ever had the privilage of dealing with. thats why i have mine in a 5.5g away from everyone else.

what could cause sudden death? Uncycled tank ammonia spikes, high nitrates, high/low salinity.. the list is a long one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom