schooling fish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
i am planning a 20 gallon long tropical aquarium. can i please have some suggestions for tightly schooliing fish? i have 6 danios at the moment, but would like some tetras that will school more tightly. any suggestions welcome and i will do more research!

Rummy nose are the tightest schoolers that I've seen, but most (not all) tetras will school somewhat. You can also check out Cardinals, Lemons, Black Neons, etc. In a 20 long you'll want to avoid the "big" tetras like bleeding heart, diamond, columbian, etc.

Rummy nose are the tightest schoolers that I've seen, but most (not all) tetras will school somewhat. You can also check out Cardinals, Lemons, Black Neons, etc. In a 20 long you'll want to avoid the "big" tetras like bleeding heart, diamond, columbian, etc.

Those were some fantastic suggestions. Lemon tetras are one of the most underated tetras commonly available. One of the mistakes people make with tetras is buying 2 or 3 of them. When lemons are in a school they show their best colors and their schooling and interactive behavior is lovely. Black neons are another one. They get lost in a tank with only 2 or 3. A nice school of 8-10, even a dozen brings out the very best. :) Bill

hm, thanks for all your very prompt advice! i dont think i have ever seen lemon tetras, although i have read about them, so will definitely keep a look out. black neons seem pretty cool too, and obviously normal neons are beautiful. a tough choice...
thanks very much for pointing me away from the bigger tetras too, cos as you all say a larger school is definitely preferable. i do like the look of black skirt tetras, but i obviously wouldnt be able to get as many, so probably not ideal.
i just really want to own a group of fish that are able to behave as they do in the wild.
what part of the aquarium to lemons swim in? i like that neon stay middle-bottom, cos top will be taken by the danios...
thanks again!

Lemons (and Rummies) occupy the mid to bottom primarily. Until feeding time... then they are voracious at the top! lol

Are Lemons terrorizers like serpaes are? I heard rummies are onery little guys too?

Lemons are very peaceful fish. In a group they are very assertive amongst themselves and are eager eaters. They are lovely fish. And if you are so inclined they are very easy to spawn. And a ten gallon tank with 50 or 75 inch long lemons is spectacular. :) Bill

Are Lemons terrorizers like serpaes are? I heard rummies are onery little guys too?

Lemons and Rummies are very peaceful fish. Serpaes, Black Skirt, White Skirt, Buenos Aires, and a few others are the nippers.

yes i have come across chili rasboras in the last few days in my research, they look lovely. also looking at ember tetras. i would like something red to contrast me my danios...

Back
Top Bottom