Schooling fish dont school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why don't my schooling fish school!? They just swim about doing their own thing. I thought my 7 neons would stick together all the time. The only fish I have that school are Titan and Thor- My two rummy nosed tetras.

Fish tend to school when there's bigger fish around as a defensive mechanism.

Chronos313 said:
Fish tend to school when there's bigger fish around as a defensive mechanism.

That makes sense. So they are just comfortable in my tank. Guess I need to throw in a big ol' angelfish then... J/k. I like them being happy. It's good to know they aren't weirdos because they don't school though.

My Neons do the same thing. If they are randomly chased by something, they "form up" (School together). I wouldn't be concerned, a lot of them do that. Truthfully, using a big fish as a defense mechanism is kinda mean to the fish, because they do that to frighten off big fish and they may get stressed.

I say leave 'em be, they're fine.

Hope I helped!

phoenixkiller said:
My Neons do the same thing. If they are randomly chased by something, they "form up" (School together). I wouldn't be concerned, a lot of them do that. Truthfully, using a big fish as a defense mechanism is kinda mean to the fish, because they do that to frighten off big fish and they may get stressed.

I say leave 'em be, they're fine.

Hope I helped!

Lol! I said j/k (just kidding). I wouldn't be mean to them.

There's nothing wrong with having a peaceful larger fish in the tank to get them to school up tighter, I have never seen it adversely affect the fish in any way. Personally though I just pick species that have a tighter schooling tendency. Many of the shiner species I've kept as well as certain danio species seem to tight schoolers no matter the tank situation.

My danios must be defective. They swim around all haphazardly like 7 fish with adhd.

ahhh this is good to know, I have 4 each tetra's and platy's in a 36 g, they don't school either, I thought they were strange and now I know it's because there is no threat

My danios must be defective. They swim around all haphazardly like 7 fish with adhd.

Haha that's so funny, Mine are the SAME way. Sometimes even running into the side of the tank.

bobc4d said:
ahhh this is good to know, I have 4 each tetra's and platy's in a 36 g, they don't school either, I thought they were strange and now I know it's because there is no threat

Platies don't school

bobc4d said:
well, there is another Pet Smart blunder. they told me I needed at least 4 or more "because they are schooling fish"

They are Social fish rather than schooling/shoal ing fish. You normally want 3-4 females per male with Livebearers such as Platies.

well, there is another Pet Smart blunder. they told me I needed at least 4 or more "because they are schooling fish"
I have never trusted pet store people's advice, unless it was backed up by the experienced people on here.

I agree, they do need a bunch of females per male, but they are schooling fish. I'm sure they like the company of their own kind though.

phoenixkiller said:
I have never trusted pet store people's advice, unless it was backed up by the experienced people on here.

I agree, they do need a bunch of females per male, but they are schooling fish. I'm sure they like the company of their own kind though.

Being Social is NOT the same as Schooling or Shoaling together. See the definition :
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoaling_and_schooling

Back
Top Bottom