Schooling fish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
After tons of consideration, I have decided to put my 4 inch red eared slider turtle back into my 72 gallon. I have a sponge filter running as well as an internal filter running. All in all, over the past 2 days I've done about a 25% water change in the 72 (moved the turtle out of the tank and filled the tank all the way up then put the turtle back in the tank so took out water). My water level sits about 3-4 inches from the top. Water parameters looked good this morning when I checked. Currently the tank only has the turtle man and 2 BN plecos (very young). [I gave my goldies back to the pond they came from and rehomed the other pleco] I realize my options are limited due to turtles being messy and possibly hunting (which he hasn't done yet but probably will as it's in their nature). I want to get just a small school of fish to put in there for now so I have something fun to look at and take care of. I was thinking either tetras (maybe cardinal?) or cherry barbs. Would I be able to do like half and half? Half tetras, half barbs? How many would be a good number? Any tips or tricks or info I should know?
PS- I do plan on getting a new tank for the turtle in the near future. I had moved him out of the 72 for a bit but decided he should stay in the tank until I get him a better set up. He will outgrow the 72 eventually anyway, so he can't stay in there forever. :dance:

Maybe a fish like White Cloud Mountain Minnows, they are often sold as feeder fish. Which may be less than ideal looking fish and might be ill if in the feeder fish tank, over crowding is a stress causer.

Usually they are economical when purchased as display tank fish as well, and you can see if you want to keep them long term when you upgrade the turtle. They are gorgeous fish. There is a long fin variety to check on if you want them for the future DT (display tank). Longer fins cost more and might be a teaser for the turtle.

If your turtle likes his pellets and other foods he may ignore the fish. Or as mentioned hunt them and eat them. They are beautiful fish and do not require tropical warm water.

Maybe a fish like White Cloud Mountain Minnows, they are often sold as feeder fish. Which may be less than ideal looking fish and might be ill if in the feeder fish tank, over crowding is a stress causer.

Usually they are economical when purchased as display tank fish as well, and you can see if you want to keep them long term when you upgrade the turtle. They are gorgeous fish. There is a long fin variety to check on if you want them for the future DT (display tank). Longer fins cost more and might be a teaser for the turtle.

If your turtle likes his pellets and other foods he may ignore the fish. Or as mentioned hunt them and eat them. They are beautiful fish and do not require tropical warm water.

Thank you for the recommendation- I did take a look at those minnows at my LFS and they would work great. I have been so indecisive about my tank these past 2 weeks! We finally decided that the turtle has to get out of the tank for good. Sooooo we built him an outdoor pond/area this weekend, where he will be staying for the summer and are working on getting him his own 50+ tank for the winter months. So my 72 is now totally turtle free and I'm super excited! I have put platies and tetras in there for now- so they are keeping the BN company. Not sure what direction I want to take now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom