Schooling fish with africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Say it ain't so...

A friend of mine who has Africans is telling me I can put a school of 10 tetras in my tank. He told me he has neons in his tank for about 2 weeks with no issues. I can't find any research to back this up. Also he recommended tiger barbs.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Well...Tiger barbs have been known to live with bigger cichlids like Jack Dempsey's. But with Africans? hmm, I think that it is going to end bad.

How old are his africans? If they are young then they don't show their full aggressive behavior yet.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Two weeks? Let's see how it is in two years and see how his tank is.

That's what I was thinking but sometimes I keep my mouth shut as I'm new but I think I'm doing a good job of getting a lot of knowledge from this site.

steez said:
Well...Tiger barbs have been known to live with bigger cichlids like Jack Dempsey's. But with Africans? hmm, I think that it is going to end bad.

How old are his africans? If they are young then they don't show their full aggressive behavior yet.

About 1 year he's had the tank and it's stocked pretty well.

I've also toyed with the idea but my guys are just nasty!! But I love them all!

I have 9 rosy barbs in mine. They are sneaky guys... But I had put 20 in. But months layer nine have made it. None eaten since first wk... My fish have lost interest I.guess. or these ones are just the best of the best... One of them look pregs... It's kind of a neat experiment... Sry to those who.are offended by the idea...

joejeff said:
I have 9 rosy barbs in mine. They are sneaky guys... But I had put 20 in. But months layer nine have made it. None eaten since first wk... My fish have lost interest I.guess. or these ones are just the best of the best... One of them look pregs... It's kind of a neat experiment... Sry to those who.are offended by the idea...

Well thanks for the input. So your 9 are doing fine?

Convict2161 said:
Well thanks for the input. So your 9 are doing fine?

Ya they actualy help w cleanliness of tank. Eat a lot of what the chlids drop. And rosies eat algae too.

I dont know if i would try to put any schooling fish with africans. It could end badly an be cruel :(

Convict2161 said:
That's a good thing! Thanks! :)

I only add tropical food every now and then as the rosies scavenge so much... I do feed them some tropical food to.make sure all needs are met ... But not too often.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont know if i would try to put any schooling fish with africans. It could end badly an be cruel :(

I have had limited luck... Couple months in and still swimming... But it may not be long term... Just trying it...

joejeff said:
I have had limited luck... Couple months in and still swimming... But it may not be long term... Just trying it...

I don't see anything wrong with trying. It's not like your throwing them in and wanting something bad to happen and gonna throw a video up on YouTube of the horror like some idiots. You can always take them out.

Nu-Nu the eel said:

Not trying to be cruel at all. Not my intention at all. You know I wouldn't do that. If anything I'll pull them out and put them in my QT tank which is set up with substrate and heater. Then Incan give them back or bring them to my friends.

My community. I have mostly peaceful fish, except for the American-flag fish. But the white clouds are fast and not shy.

Hholly said:
My community. I have mostly peaceful fish, except for the American-flag fish. But the white clouds are fast and not shy.

Hey how's your betta doing? Also what are you doing up so late or early? lol. It's 3:15am here.

Personally I think you are sentencing fish to death.Tetras do not belong in a tank environment with cichlids.It would be cruel and like ringing the dinner bell!!!

Personally I think you are sentencing fish to death.Tetras do not belong in a tank environment with cichlids.It would be cruel and like ringing the dinner bell!!!

You are probably right. It's a shot in the dark.

BUT...

He has a QT tank and has already stated he will move them. I think we should stay positive and just wait for the conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom