Schooling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bic31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to add new Harlequin Rasboras to my tank because the school has dwindled in numbers. The problem is I can't find them to add. Will Rasboras school with other Rasboras or do I have to get specifically Harlequins? Same question for Cherry Barbs. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would imagine they would need to be the same type to school together. Theres a lot of difference between most different rasboras. How many are you down to?

It depends on several variables, including your individual fish. Harlies are quiet common, I am a little surprised you can't find any. I would just keep looking, or ask stores if they can order some for you. They would probably group up with similar fish, but that seems to vary in individual circumstances. Often times, small schools in aquariums don't really school all that much anyways.
As for the barbs, they will not likely pay much attention to fish other than cherry barbs. IME, they are not tight formation swimmers generally, and they are generally very concerned with hierarchy and flirting. They are also quite common, so I am sure you can find them eventually without too much trouble if you want to add a few more.

I have neon tetras and small blue eyed rainbows and they school together fine. Not even in the same catagory at all lol.

P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

I have neon tetras and small blue eyed rainbows and they school together fine. Not even in the same catagory at all lol.

P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

Man I'd love some of those pictured- blue eyed rainbows? Could you please tell me about them? Care, tank needs, tankmates,etc. thanks!

Man I'd love some of those pictured- blue eyed rainbows? Could you please tell me about them? Care, tank needs, tankmates,etc. thanks!

Yes
Don't waste your money

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies. I went to a couple of different big box stores(not my preference) and none have either species. My go to local fish place went out of business and now I am having a tough time restocking. I will have to ask about them ordering. I am down to four cherry barbs and two Rasbora.

They're called Gertude's rainbowfish. They're one of a few blue-eyed rainbow species. I have 3 right now and they are amazing!

Why do you say that?

They were honestly fairly expensive for what they are. Mine dont have that bluish tint as I guess its a crap shoot what genus you get. Plus they are temperamental little jerks. You need to have a school. And each time I would buy 4, the little jerks would kill one of their own until I finally ended up with 4 who tolerate each other. they dont do very much and arent super decorative. I would buy neon tetras. Half the price, hardy enough, look awesome when schooled and found everywhere.
Just my opinion though from my experience.

Ok then.... Thanks for the straight story, I am no longer in love, lol.

Fishliker, they are cool looking fish and suitable for smaller aquariums but they have relatively short lifespans and aren't always easy to find.

To the OP, try aquabid or see if you have a local aquarium club, I've found quite a few people in my area who breed and sell fish and I'm going to my first auction soon :)

They were honestly fairly expensive for what they are. Mine dont have that bluish tint as I guess its a crap shoot what genus you get. Plus they are temperamental little jerks. You need to have a school. And each time I would buy 4, the little jerks would kill one of their own until I finally ended up with 4 who tolerate each other. they dont do very much and arent super decorative. I would buy neon tetras. Half the price, hardy enough, look awesome when schooled and found everywhere.
Just my opinion though from my experience.

Mine are not like that AT ALL. They're peaceful, and any time I add new fish they just act the exact same.

Please stay on topic and take any additional questions to PM rather than asking them on somebody else's thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies. I went to a couple of different big box stores(not my preference) and none have either species. My go to local fish place went out of business and now I am having a tough time restocking. I will have to ask about them ordering. I am down to four cherry barbs and two Rasbora.

Definitely ask. I know that both of those species are routinely ordered at pretty much every chain store I have ever been in. I see the harlies more than the cherries. Shipping fish in the winter can be tough though, so sometimes their stock falls a bit low. I would think they could eventually get them in for you if that is a rout you choose. Another option to check out is any sort of local fish club. Some have real life meetings, some are just on Facebook. They are great resources!

I have a school of dwarf rainbows of 10 in my 75 gallon discus tank they are nice fish maybe you need more than 4 or a bigger tank for them to be less aggressive ... I feed mine a variety of food I think that's why they color up

Back
Top Bottom