Advice on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabidmurr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon tank that I plan on planting with CO2 and high light, probably going to carpet with dhg or something. I plan on having a large number of dwarf shrimp, namely several colors of cherry shrimp and some amanos. After the carpet gets relatively grown out and established, I want to add 2 large schools of small and colorful fish. Chili rasbora or neon tetra are good examples of what I mean by that. By large I mean 30+ each. Might also try a small school of corydoras to scavenge around for lost food.

Given this information, I would love to hear recommendations for small schooling fish that would both get along with each other and the shrimp. Also, would an AquaClear 110 60-110gal filter work for this tank, or would I need to just get a canister filter. Ideas for red plants are also welcome.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

An AquaClear 110 HOB filter should be fine.

Most of your smaller tetras would be fine. With water like that you can pretty much pick whatever you like from a tetra/ rasbora group and add some Corydoras. However, having lots of bottom dwellers doesn't always work and if you want lots of shrimp, I would not get any bottom dwelling fishes because they occupy the same area of the tank. The shrimp will pick up any food that the other fishes don't eat.

For red plants, the Alternanthera family - rosanervig, lilacina, reineckii - are a good choice. Varying heights and textures. The Rotala family is also beautiful - rotundifolia, macrandra, and dwarf varieties. There's no common name for these, as far as I know. Lots of care info and sellers online.

Back
Top Bottom