scientific test of most salt mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think everyone is out there trying to find the ultimate salt mix. They all have their pro`s and cons. There just is no ultimate salt mix or we would all be using it. We just have to use the one that fits our means.

ESV... but there are more like that coming to market. Expect to spend top $$ for these "boutique" salts. Funny thing is that this isn't a new thing. It was done years ago, but companies stopped because people wanted something simpler. And now we've come full circle again!

What's the one that allows you to mix in the Mg and Ca (and alk?) separately? CSV or something like that? I like that idea.

ESV B-Ionic Seawater. I love it, it is dead on consistent with my ideal numbers for all the main parameters, it mixes crystal clear with absolutely No Residue to be found anywhere, not on the pump, not on the heater not in the mixing container. And it mixes completely and is ready to go in 10-MINUTES. It is nice for me because I don't have to leave the trashcan out for 24-48 hours waiting for the saltmix to mix up. 10-minutes and it is ready, I can do my complete water change from pouring the RODI water into the trashcan to turning the pumps back on after I am done, all while the baby takes his nap and can't get into anything.

Several companies have changed their formula since that study came out.
It really needs to be annually and using a mass spec to get truly accurate results for all parameters.

Ray, there is a reason for letting sw mix for overnight or 24 hours before using. There are 60? - 75?+ different chemicals in dry form in a salt mix. These take time to stabilize in solution. The Red Sea Coral Pro salt I use mixes clear in less than 30 minutes. But, I believe there are chemical reactions still taking place that could be caustic to corals, inverts, even the gills of fish.

But, it appears to be working for you with that particular brand, so have it.

Several companies have changed their formula since that study came out.
It really needs to be annually and using a mass spec to get truly accurate results for all parameters.

Ray, there is a reason for letting sw mix for overnight or 24 hours before using. There are 60? - 75?+ different chemicals in dry form in a salt mix. These take time to stabilize in solution. The Red Sea Coral Pro salt I use mixes clear in less than 30 minutes. But, I believe there are chemical reactions still taking place that could be caustic to corals, inverts, even the gills of fish.

But, it appears to be working for you with that particular brand, so have it.

You forgot a letter, it's Ryan. The ESV has all of the parts which take 24-hours to properly mix up in a already dissolved liquid solution. That is why it only needs to be mixed for 10-minutes. Basically, all the stuff that needs to be mixed for hours is already mixed for you.
I just found this, it is directly from the company ESV:
"Many all dry blends take excessive time to completely dissolve. Addition of newly mixed batches to the aquarium can cause irritation to inhabitants upon exposure to non-dissolved salt micro-particles.

Solution:
B-Ionic® Seawater System avoids this problem by providing all of the slower dissolving ingredients in a pre-dissolved solution form. Batches can be used within 10 minutes of preparation with no adverse effects providing initial RO and/or DI water contains sufficient dissolved oxygen."

Last edited:
none of them are consistent. even if they are all mixed just as they say, shipping will separate the larger and smaller particles and you'll have differences per water change.
this is why i use a different brand each time. what one lacks, the other will make up for....hopefully. but then it's a guess, just like you guys are doing!
beavisbutthead.gif

none of them are consistent. even if they are all mixed just as they say, shipping will separate the larger and smaller particles and you'll have differences per water change.
this is why i use a different brand each time. what one lacks, the other will make up for....hopefully. but then it's a guess, just like you guys are doing!
beavisbutthead.gif

I was thinking the same thing,....looking at all those specs sure is confusing

beavisbutthead.gif

You have never tried ESV B-Ionic then. There is nothing to get separated during shipping. That part comes in liquid form. It is consistent all 5-times I have purchased it.

no, i haven't. i was referring to the pdf file in the beginning of the thread.
i have tried gettanked aquarium's "salt water correct" salt, which is basically the same principle, and found it to be consistent.
"Bulk Reef Supplies-Organic 2 Part Aquaculture Sea Salt, Calcium is separate from the mix"

I wasn't aware of that salt, but it looks to be more expensive than ESV, without the name behind it.
Thanks for the link, later on I'm going to see how their prices are on GFO, GAC and DI Resin, compared to bulkreefsupply.

if you buy the larger bags, it's cheaper. at least it used to be. i haven't had the need for any in a while.
that guy gary who owns gettanked came to my "store" and dropped off a bunch of samples for me to hand out to customers. he lives a couple hours away. he's "good peeps".

Back
Top Bottom