Scissors in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, i wanted to trim some plants, but i dont want to take them out to trim. Can i put metal scissors in a tank to trim them? Plastics? Thanks

Sure ... why not? I do. I run it under HOT tap water first just to get of any particles etc ... no issues yet.

jcolon said:
Sure ... why not? I do. I run it under HOT tap water first just to get of any particles etc ... no issues yet.

Cool:) i just thought that since scissors are usually very dirty!

I have pairs dedicated just for the tanks. One pair downstairs with my maintenance stuff, one pair upstairs with my maintenance stuff. Now all I need is another python so I don't have to drag it upstairs/downstairs. Hmmmmm taxes are coming up.

DragonFish71 said:
I have pairs dedicated just for the tanks. One pair downstairs with my maintenance stuff, one pair upstairs with my maintenance stuff. Now all I need is another python so I don't have to drag it upstairs/downstairs. Hmmmmm taxes are coming up.

Lol! I havent ever used scissors just for maintanence,but i will start. To clean off a pair just use very hot water?

I have two pairs dedicated to the tanks too but admittedly I didn't buy them new for the tanks, they were scissors I had used for other things and then started using them for the tanks. I rinsed them off in hot tap water before putting them into the tank. Haven't had any issues. I did also get a plant trimming kit at PetSmart though which I like; it has interchangeable claws at the bottom: one for planting and another with blades for trimming. I don't have to get wet using those.

librarygirl said:
I have two pairs dedicated to the tanks too but admittedly I didn't buy them new for the tanks, they were scissors I had used for other things and then started using them for the tanks. I rinsed them off in hot tap water before putting them into the tank. Haven't had any issues. I did also get a plant trimming kit at PetSmart though which I like; it has interchangeable claws at the bottom: one for planting and another with blades for trimming. I don't have to get wet using those.

Thanks! That kit sounds cool, i have never seen one!;)

I have one of those too. VERY convenient when you have a deep aquarium. I used to have to use a step stool and reach in up to my shoulders.

If they are metal, you can always dish wash them to get them cleaned up for tank maintenance. Not all scissors will do well with continual washing, but once won't hurt.:)

I trim my plants with scissors occasionally. For the most part I just use my finger nails because I'm too lazy to look for the scissors themselves :oops:

bruinsbro1997 said:
I trim my plants with scissors occasionally. For the most part I just use my finger nails because I'm too lazy to look for the scissors themselves :oops:

Lol with finals coming up, i dont have any finger nails;)

I have seen some special scissors on websites but they were expensive. The cool thing though was they were like spring loaded to stay open. So after u clipped they would open on their own.

Right now I am using some of the small completely metal scissors that u use for grooming. They are usually sold at the grocery and drug store right next to the finger nail clippers. I got them because they are small and super sharp. I figured just like pruning plants in the garden the cleaner the cut the better for the plant so sharp is good.

Biosfear said:
I have one of those too. VERY convenient when you have a deep aquarium. I used to have to use a step stool and reach in up to my shoulders.

my tanks like that too.. makes everything difficult. I can't reach the back bottom of my tank unless I remove the lights and move my step stool around the tank .... 60g hex

I just use my fingers like others. :)

When I first read this I thought you meant store your aquarium scissors in your tank. For example you have a deep sand bed and you just stick em down there and just grab when needed. Haha

Back
Top Bottom