Scratches in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I cleaned up a 90 gallon I bought off CL today and put 2 coats of black acrylic paint on back and noticed there's a lot of small scratches. When I hosed it down and stuff they were t really noticeable till it dried. When its full will they really not be noticeable unless they're major??

First if it is an acrylic tank, you can remove the scratches. In any case, unless they are very large you will not notice them except at certain angles. Just about any used acrylic tank will have scratches. Goes with the territory. As an acrylic tank owner as careful as I am, accidents happen.

First if it is an acrylic tank, you can remove the scratches. In any case, unless they are very large you will not notice them except at certain angles. Just about any used acrylic tank will have scratches. Goes with the territory. As an acrylic tank owner as careful as I am, accidents happen.

Thanks. There is one large one and its glass. I hope I'll be fine.

Thanks. There is one large one and its glass. I hope I'll be fine.

In glass, the greater problem with a large scratch is that it may increase the risk for a crack. After all, that's they way you cut glass, you scratch it an then give it a sharp rap to make a controlled break.

If the scratch is inside you definitely will not see it very much with water in there. If large means long but light, it is not as much of a problem as a deeper scratch. I'm guessing your glass is pretty thick so that is in your favor.

I bet your tank will be awesome once you get it set up and filled.

Back
Top Bottom