scratches on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello :)

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to repair a scratch??

My hubby and son picked up one of those magnetic glass cleaners trying to help because I always get an area of brown algea on the glass by my filter and the snail doesnt seem to want to go there. When I got home, my son was so excited to show me how he could clean the tank but afterwards I noticed that on the side there are 2-3 small scratches in the glass. I showed my husband and we are not going to use the magnet anymore and are thinking of getting a pleco once we more the goldfish and can turn up the heat a bit. But, I am not sure if there is anything I can do to repair the scratches. or do I just live with them and chalk it up to live and learn??

Thanks :) PS I just want to say that everyone here has been so helpful here- It is so nice to know that I can come with with a question and not drive all over town getting different answers from every LFS I go to!!

Stacie

saaebn said:
Hello :)

My hubby and son picked up one of those magnetic glass cleaners trying to help because I always get an area of brown algea on the glass by my filter and the snail doesnt seem to want to go there. When I got home, my son was so excited to show me how he could clean the tank but afterwards I noticed that on the side there are 2-3 small scratches in the glass. I showed my husband and we are not going to use the magnet anymore and are thinking of getting a pleco once we more the goldfish and can turn up the heat a bit. But, I am not sure if there is anything I can do to repair the scratches. or do I just live with them and chalk it up to live and learn??

Stacie

oh...this is about the algae....if it's brown and it appears like a patch..or like a smear...it might be brown diatom algae....or I may be wrong...BUT in either case you should get an Oto!....every tank should come with one of these fish imo.

as for the glass, i'm not sure....if it is on the inside, the i'd be hard-pressed to do anythign about it.....for risk of stressing out the fish.....but i'd like to hear if anybody else has any experience with this prob.

Zach.

glass can be buffed out with a compound if its small and not very deep. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it may be too deep, and it would have to be emptied first and not really worth the trouble usually.

saaebn said:
if the scratch is on the outside of the tank, then there are many products and magic potions that claim to remove scratches in glass. Phone around your local hardware stores. Also try Cd and DVD scratch remover :?: I have not tried either, personally.

However if it is on the inside of the tank, then i do not think it is possible due to the way most of these repairs are done.

Most are done by filling the scratch with wax or resin with a similar "refractive index" as the glass, thus hiding the scratch but i do not think these chemicals will be suitable for the fishes.

On another note, I have one of those mag cleaners and they do not scratch my glass nor are they supposed to. Maybe you have a claim ...

I have found that to remove a scratch on glass, you can use a dremmel drill with a buffing pad and polishing compound. alternatively try some metal polish with brown paper as this should not add smaller scratches.

I would not use this inside the tank as this could poison the fish. Once polished out always wash off the glass to make sure that any polish can not spread into the tank.

lots of luck.

Thanks for the info. I think the scratches are inside so for now i am going to try and ignore them. At least they are on the side that is least visible. :?

As for getting an oto? I am going out tonight and will be right by a petstore so maybe I will look for one. How many should I get for a 75 gal or will just one do?

Thanks
Stacie

Well, Otos are about 1.5 inches long, so you would really need more than one for a 75 gallon tank :) I would say you need about eight of them, and make sure they always have an algae source wether it is on the glass or tank ornaments, or from wafers. If your snail eats most of it and you are just going to a few small areas, four would be OK. Is your tank fully established? Otos typically do not do well until a tank is established.

Oh yeah, make sure no one talks you into a Siamese Algae Eater/Flying Fox. They turn in agreesive fish as they grow, unless you have a pure strain of Siamese Algae Eaters (and it is hard to tell). You Goldfish would not appreciate a fast moving aggressive fish :)

Thanks for the info. My snails seem like they are doing well ( both are over 2 inches wide) and you can see their little plaths on one of the rocks but there is still algea so I will hit a LFS today. I also have a stash of wafers for just in case.

I was also wondering what the difference is between the brown algea and the green hairy stuff that is on my stump and one of the rocks? Will the otos eat that as well?

My tank has been up and running for several months now. 4 plus I think. I checked my levels Sunday ph 7.2 ammonia 0 and nitrites 0. I will check again before I go shopping.

Thanks again

Stacie

Thanks a bunch. I am learning there are so many more types of fish than "betta in a bowl" :)

Stacie

Back
Top Bottom