Sea anemone hitched a ride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am really new to the saltwater reef hobbie but in the process of buying my live rock a sea enemone hitched a ride. I didn't expect it to survive my tanks cycling process and I didn't even know what it was at first. I am actually still not sure what species it is. Well despite no light, high ammonia, fluctuations in salinity and temperature. It looks to be alive. How do I feed it what does it need to survive?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390063497947.jpg
    1390063497947.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 133
That looks like aiptasia or a mojano nem. Both are pests and spread quickly. I'd kill it with aiptasia x or joes juice injected directly into it's mouth.

I'll just take him out at throw him in a trash can then.

Boloceropsis platei*I was trying to figure out what it was and this was all I got.

Make sure you don't break any part of it. If you do that's how they spread. Is it pretty small?

Yes its been in my tank for three weeks I expected it to die. I'd say it's a little less than palm size. It's the only thing in the tank that I can see that's alive.

Taking a second look it doesn't really look like aiptasia. Hmm I don't think it is boloceropsis since that is a cold water nem. Maybe see what someone else has to say before removing it. I'm just wary because it survived cycling and aiptasia and mojano are the only nems I know that can survive that

I took pics to my local fish store. The owner told me it was aiptasia he said since my tank is new with nothing but LR and sand the best way to get it out was to take the whole rock that it was hitched on and set it outside he said it would die within 10 or 20 min. He also did mention the injection thing you were talking about.

Man I'm glad I talked to you or I'd have just left it in there. I just hope it didn't already spread to any LR where I can't see it. I did find one other enemone about the diameter of a penny maybe even smaller I set that LR outside to just to be safe.

Thanks a bunch.

I do have another question while I'm here there are some white worm like things on my LR are they a newsince as well or are they alright to stay?

I do have another question while I'm here there are some white worm like things on my LR are they a newsince as well or are they alright to stay?

Are they a reddish color? Probably harmless bristle worms.

There are a few different ones I'll take a few photos.

The first two photos look to be the same type of specimen. Sorry about the quality I can't get it to focus as good as I'd like.

Attachments

• 1390083364046.jpg
    1390083364046.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 1390083378791.jpg
    1390083378791.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1390083393166.jpg
    1390083393166.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 76
The ones on the first two photos do have like red tentacles on the ends but they are extending out of a white tube looking shell.

They all look to be feather duster worms. Definitely beneficial filter feeders. I have around a hundred in my tank.

What are the string like one's in the bottom photo?

Oh I see well I can't thank you enough you have been a big help I appreciate you taking out the time to help me.

Oh I see well I can't thank you enough you have been a big help I appreciate you taking out the time to help me.

No problem :)! Enjoy the site it's a great place to learn and help others

I do have to disagree that the nem is aiptasia..I'm looking around and haven't found the exact ID but don't think it's aiptasia.

I appreciate it but the ants are feasting on it already. You may be right but my local f/s determined it was. So far they seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom