Sea rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sjones88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I added some sea rock to my aquarium a few days ago after scrubbing and then soaking it for 24 hours. Now the water has gone a nasty cloudy yellow/green colour. Anyone have any advice on how I can sort this out and back to normal ? Thanks

Take them out and do as close to a complete water change as you can and stop putting things from enviorments you don't know what in it and you should be fine

I bought these rocks from a shop not found them myself.

Why is the water reacting this way ?

Its not live rock is it? If it is what you are seeing is the live organisms dieing off on the rock and polluting the water.

This is a picture of the rock any ideas anyone ?

Attachments

• image-590375212.jpg
    image-590375212.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 93
Its not live rock is it? If it is what you are seeing is the live organisms dieing off on the rock and polluting the water.

These were my thoughts exactly

This is a picture of the rock any ideas anyone ?

Looks like Live Rock to me. I would remove the rock do a major water change, Cichlid-dude is correct in his statement about the organisms dying off and polluting your water

That's live rock you have is your tank salt water

It's not saltwater no guys in shop sed it wud b fine. Do I need to boil the rocks or jus get rid of them ?

It's not saltwater no guys in shop sed it wud b fine. Do I need to boil the rocks or jus get rid of them ?

Well I don't understand why they would sale you rock that's for a saltwater tank to put in a freshwater tank I would use some other rock if it was my tank but keep the rock who knows you may want a salt tank soon.

I would use slat you can make caves for your fish to hide. And I know that live rock wasn't cheap I have a lot of it

That really is green isnt it! Coral rocks can be used for fresh water tanks. Boil and soak them and when you think you soaked them enough, boil and soak them some more, the longer the better.

That really is green isnt it! Coral rocks can be used for fresh water tanks. Boil and soak them and when you think you soaked them enough, boil and soak them some more, the longer the better.

I have to respectively disagree. I wouldn't ever recommend boiling rocks especially rocks such as this. Air can get trapped in the holes in the rock resulting in an explosion.

I'm really not sure what to do here. Seems maybe the best thing to do is accept my loss here and take is out.

I might give boiling a try tho

I have to respectively disagree. I wouldn't ever recommend boiling rocks especially rocks such as this. Air can get trapped in the holes in the rock resulting in an explosion.

You make a good point koi. I retract my last post about boiling but coral rocks can be used. Looking at the pictures, they dont look like 'live' rocks to me anyway. Theyre almost lime white.

You make a good point koi. I retract my last post about boiling but coral rocks can be used. Looking at the pictures, they dont look like 'live' rocks to me anyway. Theyre almost lime white.

I agree as well about the fact that they still can be used. I more recommending the OP taking them out because that's where the problem all started. Lol Let me rephrase it looks like "dead" live rock, so I guess I should have just said coral? That's all live rock basically is. Live rock itself is not actually alive, but is made simply from the aragonite skeletons of dead corals. When it dies it is no longer considered live and basically just a coral after that. Coral is used with cichlids on a regular basis, so no it shouldn't harm your fish but at the moment it does seem to be creating a slight problem in the tank.

I have a solution and I be believe its been stated before. Take it out, it's obvious this is your issues.

After taking the rock out perform your water changes and check parameters. Make sure everything is in check. As country stated coral as in crushed coral is used often to help buffer the water but something clearly is wrong here.

Why take the chance?

Do yourself a favor and take the rocks out its an issues and needs to addressed.

I have to also agree with country here as well. Boiling rock is never recommended and can and has caused explosions. Gasses build up in the tiny pores of the rocks. Once those gases become super heated it will cause a reaction. A bad reaction. Don't do it!

This statement is my STRONG opinion.

Last edited:
I guess you have your answer take it out and see if you can take it back to where you got it and tell them what happen maybe they will give you some rock for freshwater

Back
Top Bottom