Sea Salt from the grocery store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Is it okay to use sea salt from the grocery store in a slightly brackish aquarium? My tank is filled with only guppies, baby mollies and a snail. I want to do a water change but I just finished the last of my seachem live bearer salt and all the pet stores are closed!

These are the ingredients listed: SALT, DERIVED FROM SOLAR EVAPORATED SEA, WATER, 1/2 % MAGNESIUM CARBONATE ADDED

We use sea salt in our fiddlercrab house and so far so good. Maybe look up magnesium carbonate just to be safe, ours doesn't have that.

Your sea salt and kosher salt are safe especailly for livebearers. The MgCaO3 will raise your gh & kh slightly which is what livebearers like anyway over soft water fish. OS.

I agree with old scales just watch your water parameters and you should be good. Just remember with guppies once they're happy expect lots of babies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I miss my humble little guppies. I replaced them in my 16g bowfront with a pair of beautiful GBR's and they are nice. But I miss watching the young guppies growing up with all their new combinations of patterns and colors. I guess it's time for another tank. LOL OS.

Back
Top Bottom