Sea Shells and Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to put what looks like a giant snail shell, about 4 inches wide, in my aquarium in hopes that my frog will use it as a place to hide. How would I clean the shell off? It's been sitting in my room for ages so do I just clean it off like a rock I'd get from a pet store?

Also... does anyone know how many dwarf frogs (non-clawed) i can add into an aquarium without overduing it.

15 gallon with live plants

1 Keyhole Cichlid
1 Emperor Tetra
3 Lemon Tetras
2 Otos
2 Peppered Corydoras
1 Guppy

I used to have two frogs but don't ask me what happened to the other cause I don't know. Thanks Toirtis

So about that sea shell... how should I clean it? Just like it's a rock or somethin?

I would watch that cichlid...just in case he has a thing for frog.

The shell...just give it a scrubbing with a brush under a stream of warm water, and make sure that the whole interior is given a good rinsing (you will need to turn the shell to get water all the way to the back).

Ok, thanks. I'm sure the cichlid didn't do it, my girlfriend thinks the other frog whacked him but we'll never know...

I have two dwarf frogs. They own. My adult one just hides under my amazon sword plant. I have two in a ten gallon tank with fifteen other fish from 1.5 inches long to seven inches. No problems. When they get bigger they will eat ghost shrimp. And always keep a couple together. They don't take up any oxygen so your choice on how many.

If it is a seashell it is calcium based and will increase the pH. However, a small shell like that shouldnt make an appearent affect on the water. Boiling it might get any dead matter off that will pollute the water, but there may not be any after all that time.

not sure but wouldnt boiling make it decompose faster and it'll prolly make more of a difference in the ph. maybe :mrgreen:

The shell's about 4 inches by 4 inches by 4 inches so it's a nice sized sea shell (i think it's from the ocean, i haven't seen any shell like it before so i dont know) so would that drastically affect my pH then? And how does it change it in terms of up or down?

I doubt there's any organisms on there but it's hard to say for sure because god only knows what's living in my room, so would you guys recommend the boiling? Would you recommend placing the shell in the aquarium at all?

Back
Top Bottom