Sea Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

findad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any knowledge of these units? I found one article online describing them, but no real pros or cons. This one must be one of the older ones, completely sealed, cant change the media. The odd thing is that it has been inactive for nearly 3 years and the media is still wet and not a solidified mass. any posibility that it would be safe to use??

Attachments

• seastorm.jpg
    seastorm.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 191
  • seastorm2.JPG
    seastorm2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,166
not sure???
the post i found called it a sea storm Fluidized Bed Filter.

I aquired it in a set up i recently purchased and was attached to a magnum canister on the return side.

sea strm

I am running a larger version sea storm. It has not cycled yet but I expect good things from it,Basically it is a bio filter only with a huge amount of surface area for bacteria in a small space.

I am running a larger version sea storm. It has not cycled yet but I expect good things from it,Basically it is a bio filter only with a huge amount of surface area for bacteria in a small space.

so will this one be safe to run, it has been lying around for nearly 3 years, the media is still damp and loose??? whats living in it now? could i set it up in a spare tank and run it, can you clean it some way by running some thing thru it?

From what I understand the bacteria that lives on the sand particles is the same bacteria that is in our bio filters. I would run some tank water through it to rinse it out then either seed it or wait for it to cycle.

Correct, it is just that. A biological filter. Supposed to be much more efficient and able to react to quick changes in the bio load due to the excessive surface area.

I would flush it completely. Run some water thru, let it set. then test the water coming out before I used it. If you already have a filter on your tank, you probably don't need to cycle it. Just let it run for (say a month) the gradually remove your other one.

new development, i tryed it for a while and STORM is the right name, looked like a tornado in a jar. only problem is there is a hair line crack in the base of the intake barb, doesn't spray or anything, just a small drip. what would be the best way to try to repair this, epoxy or what?? it seemed pretty cool and i would like to save it if i can.

Is the cracked fitting plastic? If so you could use a aquarium safe epoxy. I am sure someone would have a good product recommendation.

It is at the base of the barbed nipple, it is plastic. the entire top of the unit is one piece and the whole thing is sealed, it wont come apart anywhere. The place where the crack is doesn't contact the water, the hose doesn't even cover it. I will try to get a good pix and post it later.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom