Seachem additives....which one to get??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xhilr8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a newbie to saltwater aquariums and have been doing some reading on the net to better inform myself.

I'm on quite a tight budget at the moment (my car died today and needs repairs).. and I was wondering what Seachem products I should get as a bare minimum? I don't have corals and its a fish only tank, but I want to really boost the growth of Corraline algae. I heard Seachem Calcium is good for this? SHould I just get the calcium or other Seachem products?? They have so many and its really confusing me. Which of the following do you guys recommend for somebody with a fish only tank and on a tight budget?

Seachem Reef Builder
Seachem Reef Calcium
Seachem Reef Complete
Seachem Reef Plus

I'm leaning towards getting onlt the Reef Calcium or just the Reef Builder..any thoughts or inputs??

Which of the following do you guys recommend for somebody with a fish only tank and on a tight budget?

None ;)

You should be able to maintain CA and ALK levels adequate for coraline growth with regular water changes with a good salt mix.

Hmm, but I see even people with 10 years experience adding some supplements as its too hard to maintain certain water parameters in a closed environment.

So if ca is low but alk is fine, you suggest doing a water change to fix the problem (and keep changing the water until the paramaeters are right??) :? Sounds a bit difficult to maintain.. I rather add a supplement to fix that individual deficiency rather than do a water change.. :roll:

I have to agree with RR here. I think what he is trying to say is although it is more difficult to maintain constant parameters in a closed environment with a strict schedule of water changes with a high quality salt it should remain stable. Say weely water changes as opposed to monthly like many people and your params should remain stable. If there is a problem (i.e. non-quality salt, heavy calcium load, etc.) then you can look into help. With no problem, there is no fix. I personally use reef builder and think it's valuable but I don't think it is the key to my tanks success either. If you need to dose anything look for more complete quality products as dosing for one specific thing can reap terror on a tanks total params. Always test and using the exaple you used: If calcium is a bit low but alk is fine, try a water change first. If help is needed look for something like B-ionic which is a two part supplement to keep alk stable as calcium rises as opposed to tossing in just a calcium supplent tossing your alk levels off and possible precipitating in your tank.

LOL, all of this just to say stay dilligent on your water changes and use a high quality salt and all should be well!

Have you been testing the tank for calcium and alkalinity? Never dose any additive unless you are testing for it beforehand. Adding any chemical supplement without testing is the easiest way to chemically unbalance your system. :soap:

Off the soapbox, without any calcifying organisms other than coralline algae, regular water changes with a high quality salt mix should keep the Ca and Alk at reasonable levels. Keep in mind that the water change is not just fixing a Ca or Alk problem it is replenishing trace elements, removing wastes, and gosh darnit it just makes the fish happy to get some new water now and then :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom