SeaChem Biomax ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is the seachem Biomax filter media really any better than the fluval rings? I run an FX5 on a 125 with 3 8-9" oscars and a 7-8" Red eared slider so my bio load is high and I do 80-90% water changes every 2 weeks or so but I was wondering if this would help any more than the fluval stuff with my heavily stocked tank. Also I was wondering about seachem purigen as well.

Is the seachem Biomax filter media really any better than the fluval rings? I run an FX5 on a 125 with 3 8-9" oscars and a 7-8" Red eared slider so my bio load is high and I do 80-90% water changes every 2 weeks or so but I was wondering if this would help any more than the fluval stuff with my heavily stocked tank. Also I was wondering about seachem purigen as well.
Do you mean Seachem Matrix(bio-media)

I use Matrix in my 2 HOBs on my largest tank. As I track my nitrates week by week (ammonia and nitrites are always zero), I have seen a slow, but steady decline in nitrates. I've removed the bio-wheels from the HOBs, and keep floss in there for the big poop that I rinse in tank water during changes.

Purigen is a God-send. I use it in my largest FW tank as well as my SW tank. Good stuff, and since it can be regenerated, a helluva lot cheaper than other products out there.

I also use Matrix in my HOBS and my canister. It is claimed by Seachem to house more BB than regular bio-media. On the Purigen, I completely agree with dmolavi. Purigen is simply brilliant.....

I'm thinking I need to invest in a 500mL container of both the matrix and purigen. I have an FX5 on my 125g and its FULL of fluval Biomax and a small amount of filter floss so maybe I'll do a basket of each Fluval Biomax, then matrix then purigen. Thanks for all the input everyone. I will probably be adding this to my SW tank and puffer tank as well. If its really as good as everyone says I'll probably use it on ALL my tanks.

I'm thinking I need to invest in a 500mL container of both the matrix and purigen. I have an FX5 on my 125g and its FULL of fluval Biomax and a small amount of filter floss so maybe I'll do a basket of each Fluval Biomax, then matrix then purigen. Thanks for all the input everyone. I will probably be adding this to my SW tank and puffer tank as well. If its really as good as everyone says I'll probably use it on ALL my tanks.
If your on a tightish budget, go with the 'loose' Purigen to make up your own bags. If not, go with the pre bag 100ml Purigen. I find them easier to work with......

If your on a tightish budget, go with the 'loose' Purigen to make up your own bags. If not, go with the pre bag 100ml Purigen. I find them easier to work with......

Also, if you use a bag, it'll have to be a fairly tight mesh, as the purigen granules are pretty small.

Since it's re-usable, I spend the $11 on the 100mL pouch and call it a day, knowing it will be years before it has to be replaced. I've been running it for over a year in my 56 gallon freshwater tank, regenerated it twice (every 6 months), and it shows no signs of letting up.

Back
Top Bottom