Seachem Flourish tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After a few weeks of sticking them under your swords they go boom. Well mine did anyway.

i haven't tried the tablets. i was perusing amazon.com and the seachem flourish solutions have rave reviews.

what do you mean by your swords went boom? boom - like they rocketed out of the tank because they grew or boom - like they dropped dead?

Tank is >20" tall and my melons, rubin, and red flame swords want from 6" to near touching air in roughly two months. Also have to take into consideration I have high light.

I don't like using root tabs, found they were a waste of money. I would just put a good plant substrate down, even just around individual plants. I did this after the fact and plants took off. Never had to worry about sticking tabs everywhere. Why stick tabs all the time when a good substrate will go a lot further. My opinion tho.

I used them with decent results. My plants did go boom also lol

I think they are necessary for all root feeders because eventually, the nutrients in the plant substrate will beused up.

jetajockey said:
If you go with a soil based substrate it actually takes a really long time to expend all of the ferts in it. It's like one giant root tab.

Yes, but if you move plants around much, isnt it also messy and you may get algae blooms ?

If you do use Organic Potting Soil or MTS, you need a sand cap.

You could have the same issue with a root tab filled tank. I'm general its not good to uproot established root feeders. And definitely need a cap over soil, although the clay addition to mts helps serve as a flocculant.

I don't do the potting soil method, but i know with MTS that if you were to start turning over the soil for some reason it would make for a cloudy tank. It eventually settles, but I could see the potential for an algae bloom if that happened, although I've not seen it in the tanks that I've had to uproot and rearrange.

DIY root tabs, either osmocote or if you are feeling adventurous, mixing your own, work quite well and are much simpler than a substrate change. One downside to root tabs is if you uproot something, you may get a large red spot on the substrate or a red cloud in the tank. Or if you are using osmocote you'll end up with little yellowish spheres everywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom