Seachem Matrix Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just want to get some reviews and opinions on Seachem Matrix over using the Fluval Biomax Rings? I have a Fluval 305. What I want to do is set it up using Carbon/Bio Rings or Matrix or both...

Let me know what you think. Thanks

tank 55gal w/Fluval 305

Don't use carbon unless you have to. Carbon only lasts 2 weeks and is a pain to change in a canister. Additionally it takes up valuable room for bio media. I have a fluval 305 and every single tray contains bio media.

No fish need carbon. If you do enough water changes you should not need carbon at all. There are some negative effects of using carbon, the theory is that it removes vital micronutrients and trace elements.

Seachem Matrix has less surface area total, but more bioavailable surface area. The difference is that with Fluval and Eheim's biomedias the pores and channels are so small that when a biofilm of beneficial bacteria start growing it actually blocks off those pores and channels, reducing the available surface area. The pores and channels in Matrix are large enough to allow a biofilm to grow without getting blocked up. The Matrix is also supposed to allow for denitrification. Whether that is true is arguable, some say yes, some say no, some say the people saying yes are really just seeing a difference after cleaning the debris out of the filter (which will also lower the nitrate concentration in the water). I use and recommend Matrix now. It is at least as good as the other biomedias out there, and with the possibility of denitrification it is worth using as the only biomedia.

Back
Top Bottom