Seachem Neutral regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone recommend Seachem neutral regulator or is there a better product out there? My ph is 8.0 so thinking I should lower it a bit for tetras, mollies, guppy’s, guaramis etc.

Trying to chemically alter pH usually causes more issues than it solves. If you want to lower pH in a safe manner then driftwood or indian almond leaves in the aquascape, or peat moss in the filter, but pH of 8 is fine for those fish.

What is your tap water pH? Is your tapwater that pH or is something in your tank raising it?

I live in a hard water area so my tap water is 8. It’s a new tank and I have recently added driftwood so that may help overtime

Fish are very adaptable to different pH levels. When you read those sites that give you ideal pH levels, they are referring to their natural environment. If you are buying your fish locally they are likely to have been bred and raised in tapwater similar to what you have.

What fish dont like is varying pH levels. The aim is to keep it consistent rather than what you might perceive as ideal. Adding Chemicals has the opposite effect, trying to move pH from where it naturally wants to sit it is constantly changing as it drifts towards its natural level and you then chemically alter it to a different parameter. Etc etc.

There are fish that are particularly needy and do require specific water parameters. Wild caught fish arent tolerant to different water parameters from their natural habitat. To get fish to breed you may want parameters closer to ideal. But in those circumstances its better to start with RO water and remineralise it to the parameters you want rather than force tapwater to be somewhere it doesnt want to go.

Ok thanks for the tips. I’ll keep an eye on its stability and go from there

Back
Top Bottom