Seachem Onyx Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use black onyx in my tanks as a cap. It works very well, but, if you get it make sure that you rinse it VERY well before adding water. You will not be able to see anything in your tank for at least 3 days due to the excessive amount of dust in it. That is the only downside to all seachem fluorite substrates. Hope this helps, good luck with you tank!

I use black onyx in my tanks as a cap. It works very well, but, if you get it make sure that you rinse it VERY well before adding water. You will not be able to see anything in your tank for at least 3 days due to the excessive amount of dust in it. That is the only downside to all seachem fluorite substrates. Hope this helps, good luck with you tank!

Thank You! How many pounds do I need for a 75 gallon tank?

Thank You! How many pounds do I need for a 75 gallon tank?

I would get some use some fluorite gravel to build up your substrate and then cap with the onyx sand. The roots of your plants need to be able to breathe that sand compacts and gets hard. You will probably need at least 2 bags to cap with.

I would get some use some fluorite gravel to build up your substrate and then cap with the onyx sand. The roots of your plants need to be able to breathe that sand compacts and gets hard. You will probably need at least 2 bags to cap with.

Thanks for the help! I think I will just use fluorite black sand instead of onyx sand. Can I just use all fluorite sand?

I wouldn't recommend it. You need something to let your roots spread. A fluorite and black sand cap will work.

Back
Top Bottom