Seachem PRIME dosage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted to run this by the more experienced here as I am looking for an easy way to use Prime during pwc

According to the label on the bottle:
Recommended Dosage = 5 mL to 50 US Gal

Doing some simple math:
1 mL to 10 US Gal
1 / 10 = 0.1
so
0.1 mL per 1 US Gal

Knowing that 20 drops = 1mL (25 drops to 1 mL in some circles)
conservatively then 20 x 0.1 = 2
so
2 drops per Gallon
and
4 drops for 2 Gal
and
6 drops for 3 Gal

Does that sound right?

Just wanted to run this by the more experienced here as I am looking for an easy way to use Prime during pwc

According to the label on the bottle:
Recommended Dosage = 5 mL to 50 US Gal

Doing some simple math:
1 mL to 10 US Gal
1 / 10 = 0.1
so
0.1 mL per 1 US Gal

Knowing that 20 drops = 1mL (25 drops to 1 mL in some circles)
conservatively then 20 x 0.1 = 2
so
2 drops per Gallon
and
4 drops for 2 Gal
and
6 drops for 3 Gal

Does that sound right?
I sharpened some pencils, picked up an eraser, got some paper, charged up my calculator, took out my slide rule and once I was all prepared, I read the bottle. :lol:
The directions say 2 drops per gallon so for every gallon, add 2 drops or 1 drop for every 1/2 gallon. Your math was correct. Good job (y)

I sharpened some pencils, picked up an eraser, got some paper, charged up my calculator, took out my slide rule and once I was all prepared, I read the bottle. :lol:
The directions say 2 drops per gallon so for every gallon, add 2 drops or 1 drop for every 1/2 gallon. Your math was correct. Good job (y)

My bottle didn't say that :confused:

Glad I didn't have to go through all that you did though, and I still got it right! :dance:

Still rockin the slide rule, eh Andy?

The 2 drops per gallon instructions are only printed on the small bottle that has a dropper cap. So don't worry OP, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

And I thought I was so krafty to use an old saline spray bottle as a dropper for Prime since I got the 500 mL version...

I kept the little bottle with the dropper top and refill it from the 500mL bottles I buy. I also refill an old 250mL bottle for my larger tanks. This way I don't have to worry about loosing all my prime if it gets knocked over while it's open (I only fill it about halfway each time), and I can dose by the capful or by drops.

Still rockin the slide rule, eh Andy?

The 2 drops per gallon instructions are only printed on the small bottle that has a dropper cap. So don't worry OP, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

So you know what a slide rule is :D I told you I have been keeping fish a loooooooong time :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I actually read the directions from my small bottle. Since I am on well water, I don't use it that often so I didn't know it wasn't printed on the bigger bottles. ( The beginning of my post was just for comedic effect :brows: :lol: :D :dance:)

You guys in the US should be buying pond prime its more concentrated but half the price

If you don't think I'm telling the truth look on you tube pond prime vs prime even seachem say this is correct

As prime can be double dosed safely I don't think you need to be that accurate

When I used to use it I drained 25% of my tank water then dosed the whole full tank volume with prime and filled the tank from a hose

Never had a problem

All this mixing new water and heating it is a waste of time as a slight temp drop in the tank is a good thing as it simulates a temp drop over night or even rain fall

Just keep fish keeping simple and don't think that deep into it

All the big company's with meds and water conditioners have taken into account a small amount of human error when putting the dose amount on the bottle

What I normally do with Prime -- and this has been debated to infinity and beyond at this point -- is follow the directions on the bottle for cap application and my tank size, and I happen to be one of those people who treat the entire tank before new water goes in...

In other words, I have a 60 gallon. The directions say ONE CAPFUL for every 50 U.S. GALLONS. So I pour a capful and drop it into the tank and then pour a little more into the cap so it reaches the first "notches" of the twist pattern on the inside (per Seachem's instructions to me via email as well) and pour that in right after -- hence, around the amount I need for 60 gallons...

Always works for me, seemingly, because I never lost fish to chlorine poisoning or anything else that may have been in the tap source...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom