seachem purigen 100 ml questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has any one used this for your aquarium? Is it for use with HOB filters, or canister filters? We were considering trying this with our HOB filter, but would like to hear more about it from someone with experience using it. Please let us know how you have used this product, with which filter, and how it has worked for you. Thanks!

I've used it with hob, canisters, and sumps. They work better for hob and sumps in my opinion. Just put the purigen where it gets water flow.

Good stuff! It works like Act. Charcoal but better and lasts longer. It will remove tannins and some organic compounds and make the water a little clearer. It won't remove your ferts though, which is good. You can recharge it after it turns dark brown. I recommend dechlorinating it after recharge twice with lots of rinsing afterwards. Store in a zip lock bag to keep moist until you reuse it. I got two packs and rotate them. OS.

Thanks for the advice! Any more is a plus! A question for old scales. I am currently running an aqueon quiet flow 10 on my tank. I've noticed that this media comes in different sizes. Do you suggest a particular size?

I'm not sure old scales lol. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked the question. My gf was researching different medias because our filter by passes monthly and we have to replace the media insert. Its expensive. When I meant size I meant the overall size of the media. I wanted to make sure it would fit inside of the media holster.

Filter Media

I just looked at the Aqueon 10 you have. It takes the medium size filter pad. BUT, you can save a lot of money and get good filtration by making your own pad. Get some cut to fit pad material from Petco/smart. I'll attach a pic of what I use. Take the old aqueon pad and cut away the padding saving the frame. Use the frame as a template and cut out a pad of the cut to fit stuff. You don't need the charcoal in it unless you're removing meds. I haven't used Act. charcoal in years. When your cut to fit pad gets dirty, rinse and wring it out and reuse. You don't recut a new one until that one literally falls apart. 10-12 uses. It actually filters better after it's been squished up a few times. A bag of this would last >1 yr and is around $8. OS.
Edit: The blue side should be the first side the water flow hits.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Wow thank you old scales for the awesome advice!!! You the man or woman lol. Being a newbie, I had no idea that stuff existed. Again thank you very much!!!

I have a 125 gal fresh water set up I am using a Fluval FX6 & a aqua clear 110 HOB filter. My FX6 I use for my mechanical & chemical only. My aqua clear I use it for mechanical biological & purigen. It has worked very well for me. The tank is crystal clear and the are doing great. I hope this helped you.

Back
Top Bottom