SeaChem Purigen for removing tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone had any experience with the SeaChem Purigen product for removing Tannins from Malaysian Driftwood?

I have tried a couple of times but it does not seem anywhere near as effective as plain carbon. The Purgien seemed to foul and turn dark brown very quickly and was stained permanently. The best thing I know is patience and water changes.

I have tried a couple of times but it does not seem anywhere near as effective as plain carbon. The Purgien seemed to foul and turn dark brown very quickly and was stained permanently. The best thing I know is patience and water changes.

+1

Is there any specific brand of carbon I should use? I'm new to the whole adding different types of media...and is there inserts that you can put together and make your own inserts for the HOB filters?

Also what does the +1 do? New to these forums as well.

Is there any specific brand of carbon I should use? I'm new to the whole adding different types of media...and is there inserts that you can put together and make your own inserts for the HOB filters?

+1 means a person agrees with the person before him or in the quote. For the carbon just ask your l.f.s. aka local fish store

I've never had Malaysian Driftwood, but I actually had the opposite result with the driftwood in my tank. Carbon seemed to do little while Purigen helped. I have to agree that the tannins did turn the Purigen brown fairly quickly though.

Ok, so i am looking online, and it seem that you can buy the seachem and it comes with a mesh bag for it, now my penguin bio-wheel has slots where you insert the cartridges, do i do the same with the seachem with the mesh bag, im not clear on how that works...???

IMO, Purigen is a great product that easily exceeds GAC. Not to mention it can be regenerated and used over and over and over. I run it 365/24/7

Well i just introduced the Driftwood into my tank, it's been boiled for 3 hours and soaked in a 5 gallon bucket for just about a month. I got the Seachem Purigen, lets see how this works.

I attached a picture of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG00174-20110421-2144.jpg
    IMG00174-20110421-2144.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 329
Well I can say that Purigen worked like it was suppose to, water is crystal clear. Figure i would let you guys know that i worked like a charm. Thanks again.

BfishLpond78 said:
Well I can say that Purigen worked like it was suppose to, water is crystal clear. Figure i would let you guys know that i worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Glad to hear also, did you bought it online? Or where? Nice tank by the way!

Ya it's awesome stuff, I bought it online, i also got "the bag" that goes with it. Thanks i like the look of it, minus the gravel, the G/F idea, I'm moving if a few months and will probably switch to black sand. But for now its better than watching TV.

I considered using it for when I put my new piece of wood in the tank... but the "controls ammonia" line on the product description made me decide not to. I'd be ok using that stuff in a non-DT, but I'm not going to put it in my DT.

Not sure what you mean by "DT" I can only learn so many acronyms in one day...lol

Display tank. I've used ammonia controlling products before in my quarantine tanks for short term purposes, but I wouldn't be comfortable using something like that in a more permanent aquarium.

BfishLpond78 said:
Well i just introduced the Driftwood into my tank, it's been boiled for 3 hours and soaked in a 5 gallon bucket for just about a month. I got the Seachem Purigen, lets see how this works.

I attached a picture of the tank.

I'm a bit surprised that after boiling it for 3 hours and soaking it for a month that you'd still need to add something to your tank to remove tannins.

Before I added the two pieces of driftwood to my 10g tank, I boiled it for about an hour until the tannin leach slowed to barely any. It did still end up leaching some tannin while I fishless cycled my tank, but it was only noticeable because I wasn't doing weekly water changes while cycling. Now, there's never any noticeable tannin in my tank.

Rok - what is your reasoning for not having something that controls ammonia in your DT?

It was only some minor leeching, but me being me i didn't want to have any coloration in my water. I'm sure I could remove them now, but I wanted to try them out so I could let others know if it worked.

Back
Top Bottom