Seachem Substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, assuming i can find someone that actually sells this stuff "locally", what's the diff between Seachem's three substrates?

I see they have Flourite and Flourite Red, as well as Onyx Sand and Onyx Gravel

I assume the onyx sand and gravel are the same substance, just the sand being a finer grit?

They mention that Onyx has a "slight" buffering capacity ... any ideas on how much is "slight"?

I already have very hard water, so I'd like to avoid adding additional hardness ... or does it work like a concentration, if my water is already hard past a certain point, the onyx won't add any additional hardness?

Ok, about the flourite ... Is the normal and red the same stuff, just different colors? Is one better than the other?

I've heard both are tricky to use as an exclusive substrate because of extreme clouding ... does the Onyx also have this problem?

Ok, about the flourite ... Is the normal and red the same stuff, just different colors? Is one better than the other?

As far as I know, same stuff, diff. color. With the clouding, you just have to rinse, rinse, rinse before setting up the tank! I did my best job ever with rinsing my fuorite, it has paid off in the long run, no clouding when it is disturbed.

Never tried the onyx products, got nothing for you there. One day I want to try one or the other of these, Black substrate has a dramatic effect.

Have you considered Schultz Aquatic Soil? It is made for planting pond plants in, but costs less than half of what Fluorite does, little lighter in color, slightly larger granules. I like it just as well as Fluorite. It is also totally neutral, wont affect hardness or ph. Avalable at most walmarts or Depot/Lowes.

*sigh* ... another thing supposedly available at the Depot :)

Michigan Depot's SUCK I guess ... there is a list as long of my arm of things they supposedly sell, but not in Michigan

Walmart and Lowes "stores" appear to be owned by the same company here in Michigan, and neither sell much of anything for hydroponics, horticulture or high-intensity lighting :(

----- on a side note:

I was talking with a prosecutor for a nearby county, and he tells me that retailers in Michigan must report the sale of certain hydroponic and horticulture equipment (lights, certain soils, inert mediums, etc) to the State Police as part of some anti-drug campaign. I think other states have similar programs, but they mostly deal with high-intensity lighting, but not the other supplies.

This must be the cause of why stores in Michigan don't sell such things, they would rather not sell them then have to deal with ratting out their customers.

-----

I have seen 1st layer pure laterite for sale in small boxes at Petsmart, but it's like $20 for 2 lbs? ... ouch!

Kitty litter works well for me, but it's ugly ... at $2 for 25 lbs, can't beat the price!

My local Home Depot has Schultz Aquatic Soil for $6.97 for a 10lb bag. I picked up a bag last night. I live in central-eastern Michigan.

hrmm ... I have relations that live in Oakland County ... I'll have them check the HD down there next time we speak ... maybe it's just something with the two 'back woods' HDs nearest me :|

I might need to drive to the "city" anyway to find the best prices on a new 90 g

what color is this schultz stuff when it's wet? (any pics?)

can it be used as an exclusive substrate, or does it need to be mixed with sand / gravel

also, does your flint HD carry something called "chat" gravel, which I think is the grade below "pea" gravel ... the stones are between 1mm and 3mm?

It is a redish brown color when wet. It is a light brown color when dry. Sorry the picture is bad.

soil.jpg

I am pretty sure that it can be used by itself, correct me someone if I'm am wrong.

I don't know if my HD has chat gravel. I went to the garden section for the first time when I got the aquatic soil. I got the soil and went to checkout.

As corvuscorax told me, make sure you rinse it very well. I put mine in a strainer over a bucket and rinsed it at least five times. I tried to rinse it until the water coming out was not brown.

what is your top layer there, a coarse sand?

looks nice :)

thanks for the info!

well

I called BigAls ... they have flourite for $11 per 7 kg bag (around 15 lbs) ... shipping for 4 bags was only $15, which is not too bad since that's over 60 lbs shipped

lfs can order it for $24.99 a bag plus tax

I'll probably order some when I start building a new tank, but will just stick with the ugly kitty litter / sand + pea gravel substrate the 30g has now

glmclell said:
well

I called BigAls ... they have flourite for $11 per 7 kg bag (around 15 lbs) ... shipping for 4 bags was only $15, which is not too bad since that's over 60 lbs shipped

lfs can order it for $24.99 a bag plus tax

I'll probably order some when I start building a new tank, but will just stick with the ugly kitty litter / sand + pea gravel substrate the 30g has now

I beg to differ on that price, I ordered 2 bags of fluorite when they had them on sale at $9.99 each... so for 2 it was $19.98 plus $5.95 for shipping... so i toughed cool, until i got my CC statement, seems they add what they call "additional weight order shipping charge".. to make a long story short, it ended me costing $16.75 extra to ship them all the way to SoCal (ended up paying $42.68 total for 2 7K bags)

Since then i have found 2 LFS that carry Fluorite ... one at $15.95 and the other one at $14.95, so next time i need some I'll just pay that plus tax :D

well ... I will double check - that's not a good sign sneaking extra charges in like that

the women I spoke with compute the weight on the phone, and I asked twice (as I was in disbelief myself) ... $14.95

I've never ordered from bigals ... just aquariumshoppe ... but they're high on filters, which is why I liked bigals for my next order

If 14.95 is the price that she quoted you after giving her the first 3 digits of your zip code, you are safe. You are much closer to their location than croc is. I will be ordering 4 bags from them and it will take 24.50 for shipping to northern california. I don't know when they added this....but the caption clearly states....

"FLOURITE 7 KG LATERITE - actual shipping cost based on weight"

Doraemon said:
If 14.95 is the price that she quoted you after giving her the first 3 digits of your zip code, you are safe. You are much closer to their location than croc is. I will be ordering 4 bags from them and it will take 24.50 for shipping to northern california. I don't know when they added this....but the caption clearly states....

"FLOURITE 7 KG LATERITE - actual shipping cost based on weight"

Yes, based on weight..not freight, but the online invoice (after you hit the last button) and on the order confirming e-mail it doesn't show the added cost, you got to find out the hard way.. on the CC statement :evil:
btw... i bought another 7Kg bag locally today.. for $14.95 plus tax ... way cheaper then buying online :twisted:

If you are going to order substrates from Big Al's then call them and find out the actual shipping charges.

Back
Top Bottom