Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I was researching on how to raise brine shrimp I passes quite a few seahorse websites. And now I wonder, how hard is it to keep sea horses? I might wanna keep on since I have an available 20 gallon tank.

Seahorses only require dedication on your part. They do take a bit more time and care than normal sw fish. Also, they are social animals and really wouldn't be happy all alone. The 20 would be IMO the very limit for a pair of horses and only if it's not a 20L. They need verticle space. Also, be sure to buy captive bred horses. They are normally already on a frozen diet and are much hardier.

A very good tank for them would be a 45 high. This would give them enough space all around. They need a tank that's close to 3 times or more the height of themselves. And like fluff said its all about how much dedicated you are to them. They require more care and need a lot of attention to all aspects including foods, tankmates, and water quality.

Brine shrimp isn't a good choice for a main food source. It's only a everyonce in a while snack. Its debatable about they're nutritional value, but from what we know when they aren't gut loaded theyre aren't very good as a staple diet. Seahorses that are raised on that food will most likely die of malnutrition. A better food source is mysis shrimp. An easily eaten food tat provides enough nutrition. But other foods should be used too. Adding selcon to whatever food they eat is a good idea too. The only seahorse that needs to be fed bbs are dwarf seahorses.

Im about to get a pair of seahorses pretty soon and IMO the best thing you can do it exhaust yourself with research. Im writing an article on fishforums.com on basic care and all that so maybe that'll help alittle when it's finished.

I could write about these things for days but im just going to settle answering some of your questions.lol... Seahorses are only hard if you don't know what your doing :)

try syngnathid.org or seahorse.org, although seahorse.org is having some "problems" right now due to hackers.......you will learn everything you need to know there :D

Protein skimmers on any tank is beneficial. To be honest, I would probably get a very large fuge/sump setup with a good skimmer in there. This guy Darren at my LFS who is very knowlegable had 20 tall at the checkout counter and they only lived 5 months and he was surprized they lived that long. Of course they did not get the same care they would in the home aquarium.

It's debatable whether or not you need a skimmer in a seahorse tank.
It's good for the water but also increases the chance of gas bubble disease.

Seahorse.org is definitely a good place to start out. They had a couple incidents concerning a hacker lately so they're forum (last time I checked) was temporarily down. It's basicly a chat room right now until they upgrade everything and put it back up. The articles are still there though. The temporary forum should be gone in a couple days at the most.

Back
Top Bottom