seal lubricant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new filter seals just arrived. Can I lube them with petroleum jelly? More specifically, its for the impeller housing.

I wouldn't think that oil (petroleum product) and water mix well.

I believe most filter seal lubricants are silicone based, not petroleum based, but I am willing to stand corrected.

I was thinking that as well. I have seen on other forums people who recommended this as a lube, but I wanted to check here first. :) thanks

I use petroleum jelly on my Fluval 305 seals. This is in a freshwater tank and I havent had any issues with contaminating the water. Just make sure you keep it at a thin film. If you take it apart later you will find that it has turned a milky color. Just wipe it away with a paper towel and recoat when you get ready to seal it back up. This has worked for me for the past year.

I've used petroleum jelly on bulkhead fitting without any problems. Also I've used it on the seals to my ro unit which is recommended by the manufacturer so I don't think you can go wrong using it.

It turns out that this is highly debated among fish keepers. Some say petroleum swells rubber, but it looks like the majority use it with great success. I used it. So far so good!

Retired_AF said:
I use petroleum jelly on my Fluval 305 seals. This is in a freshwater tank and I havent had any issues with contaminating the water. Just make sure you keep it at a thin film. If you take it apart later you will find that it has turned a milky color. Just wipe it away with a paper towel and recoat when you get ready to seal it back up. This has worked for me for the past year.

Have you had any issues with the seals getting weak after time? I guess some say that it can deteriorate your seals. I have some extra seals, so I just went ahead and used it as like a trial.

Back
Top Bottom