SeaLife LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treemanone2003

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a LFS near me that is strictly SW. Although I don't know much on the SW side of the hobby and am doing a lot of research, I went in with a couple loaded questions and gained their trust immediately. They gave the exact answers to the questions with no added bs or beating around the bush. Free pointers all the way around and very eager to help or share stories.

So now all reading this can get the idea, as I said my SW experience and knowledge is very limited. The owner has come up with his own brand/design of lighting and they're in use all over the store. They are a little pricey for me (I'll go look back and post $$) but I'm looking for some feedback on what the experienced reefers think about them. Here's the link, thanks in advance : SeaLife LEDs - About Us

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

It doesn't say what brand of led they're using. Also the cost is missing. The bells and whistles of the lights are nice but not needed. You can get a two channel dimmable 165w full spectrum light on eBay for 90 to 120 dollars they will cover 2' of the tank and support just about any coral

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have access to the actual builder of the LEDs, I'd simply ask what type of LED lights he is using. Bridgelux are good, and Cree are the best. Ask the efficiency of the bulbs as well (in lumen per watt). Again, the best are exceeding 100+ Lumen per watt. Finally you want to know how many watts the drivers are capable of. A 180watt driver limited to 120 watts by the controller has better heat dissipation capability, and therefore a better life expectancy than a 120W driver driven to 100%

Unfortunately the ad provides zero information. Before I buy any fixture I want to know the following:

How many LEDs and their driven wattage. This is must have information.

Does it use lenses and what kind of coverage is available.

If you know the PAR number is high, clue us in.

Is it reparable domestically?

Otherwise, you haven't a clue what you're buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It doesn't say what brand of led they're using. Also the cost is missing. The bells and whistles of the lights are nice but not needed. You can get a two channel dimmable 165w full spectrum light on eBay for 90 to 120 dollars they will cover 2' of the tank and support just about any coral

I agree it doesn't say what brand of LEDs they are using and I will find that out over the next 24 hours and provide an update in that regard. As to the price, perhaps you misunderstood the part where I said "(I'll go look back and post)" but as of yet I haven't gotten that far since work interrupted my day, lol. I agree whole heartedly about the bells and whistles being nice but not needed. It just seems everywhere you turn around these days, that's what's directly targeted to the consumer.

Unfortunately the ad provides zero information. Before I buy any fixture I want to know the following:

How many LEDs and their driven wattage. This is must have information.

Does it use lenses and what kind of coverage is available.

If you know the PAR number is high, clue us in.

Is it reparable domestically?

Otherwise, you haven't a clue what you're buying.

You're exactly right Greg. The main page holds no info relative to any of the items you've listed. However, on that main page in the upper left corner are three horizontal bars for the menu. That brings you to the other pages and I wrongly presumed folks could navigate it. My apologies. Here is the link to the second page I'm speaking of and hopefully this will help out.

http://sealifeleds.com/reefcrest-led-series.html?m

On my last visit, I was informed by one of the partners that they would be in the next issue (4th quarter) of Reef Hobbyist Magazine. I don't know if it's a feature article or just an advertisement but we'll all know soon enough.

Those are low power units and the PAR numbers back this up. It would grow hard corals in a shallow tank perhaps. How much are they?

Last edited:
If you like them, buy them. I would just be conservative as to how much depth penetration and coverage they have.

Just starting in angels have several tanks I show dogs for a living and I'm 57 years old. Live in Amarillo texas

Those numbers are at 18 inches above the tank. You could drop them down a bit to increase the par greatly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So with a quick visit to the store in between the wedding and the reception, I did get in to see the folks at the store. As they were busy, and my time was limited, I only managed to find out they are using Bridgelux LEDs. I don't know anything about them so after work I'll go see what I can find out about that brand I also did get a copy of the new RHM and they have a half page add.

Those numbers are at 18 inches above the tank. You could drop them down a bit to increase the par greatly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would think that'd be the case. Thanks for clarification. Could you guesstimate of what the levels would be sitting on the tank or is that one of those nearly impossible things without meters and such ?

Lots of fixtures use those LEDs. They work great. I prefer Cree LEDs, but light is light.

I would think that'd be the case. Thanks for clarification. Could you guesstimate of what the levels would be sitting on the tank or is that one of those nearly impossible things without meters and such ?

I really couldnt. There's a lot of factors in par rating. However, here is a little workup of par levels at different heights where you can get an idea of how much it drops off

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

I really couldnt. There's a lot of factors in par rating. However, here is a little workup of par levels at different heights where you can get an idea of how much it drops off

Thanks for passing that along, Mebbid. I'll check that out after my 15th consecutive workday, lol.

Awesome read. Unfortunately I think I will have to read it 12 more times to take in all that information

Back
Top Bottom